RE: [alabamahistory] Scottsboro documentary

  • michael fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2001
      Yeah, to follow up on the original comment, I thought it was pretty good
      too. I thought it did a reasonably good job of not demonizing white
      Alabamians in circumstances that in retrospect seem pretty awful, the
      innocence of the accused men being relatively clear. The resentment of the
      lawyer Leibowitz as a Yankee left-wing outsider is well conveyed. I
      thought the tone, overall, was quite even handed.

      The authors did leave out the whole struggle for control of the defense
      effort between the NAACP and the Communist-led International Labor Defense,
      which as I recall was a major theme of Dan Carter's fine book Scottsboro.
      Well, no documentary can ever cover everything, I suppose.

      I recommend that folks get a look at the film if they can.

      Thanks, Mike Fitzgerald, fitz@...

      At 03:27 PM 4/3/01 -0500, you wrote:
      >Hi, Mike...yes, I saw it and thought the filmmakers did a good job covering
      >all the competing agendas involved in the whole affair...quite a story,
      >isn't it?? I found the information about the defense attorney from New
      >York--his name escapes me at the moment---interesting...a real culture clash
      >for him!...some cast of characters in this tale...I guess Judge Horton, the
      >sheriff and Clarence Norris--one of the 9 Scottsboro boys--come off
      >best....aj wright // ajwright@...

    • Kyes Stevens
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 5, 2001
        After finally getting to watch the taped copy of the Scottsboro
        documentary, I am bewildered by the lack of perspective from the black
        side. I thought the research hinged too much on the white experience and
        pespective. For instance, we know a great deal about the "Jew lawyer" from
        New York because that information is easier to find--but what about the
        accussed? A little more research would have provided a much more equal
        historically equal film.

        Having ranted properly on the soap-box, I would like to say that even
        though the film had some drawbacks, I thought it was a well-made film and I
        was completely engaged.

        Kyes Stevens