Re: [alabamahistory] Scottsboro documentary

  • michael fitzgerald
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2001
      Dear Alabama History list,

      Anybody else see the PBS documentary on Scottsboro which aired in various
      places around the country last night? Just curious if anybody on the list
      had anything to say about it.

      Thanks,

      Mike Fitzgerald
      fitz@...
    • michael fitzgerald
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2001
        Yeah, to follow up on the original comment, I thought it was pretty good
        too. I thought it did a reasonably good job of not demonizing white
        Alabamians in circumstances that in retrospect seem pretty awful, the
        innocence of the accused men being relatively clear. The resentment of the
        lawyer Leibowitz as a Yankee left-wing outsider is well conveyed. I
        thought the tone, overall, was quite even handed.

        The authors did leave out the whole struggle for control of the defense
        effort between the NAACP and the Communist-led International Labor Defense,
        which as I recall was a major theme of Dan Carter's fine book Scottsboro.
        Well, no documentary can ever cover everything, I suppose.

        I recommend that folks get a look at the film if they can.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 5, 2001
            After finally getting to watch the taped copy of the Scottsboro
            documentary, I am bewildered by the lack of perspective from the black
            side. I thought the research hinged too much on the white experience and
            pespective. For instance, we know a great deal about the "Jew lawyer" from
            New York because that information is easier to find--but what about the
            accussed? A little more research would have provided a much more equal
            historically equal film.

            Having ranted properly on the soap-box, I would like to say that even
            though the film had some drawbacks, I thought it was a well-made film and I
            was completely engaged.

            Kyes Stevens