FW: Anne George dies

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 14, 2001
      Sad news indeed..aj wright // ajwright@...

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Capitol Book [mailto:capitolbook@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 2:18 PM
      To: Capitol Book
      Subject: Anne George dies

      Anne George, the much-loved writer of the Southern Sisters mystery series,
      died today in Birmingham. Anne died during an operation to repair a damaged
      heart valve.

      Funeral arrangements have not yet been made. We do understand from a very
      close friend of Anne's that she knew this surgery was very risky, and that
      she might not survive it, and she requested that in the event of her death
      any memorial donations be made to her favorite charity, the Humane Society.
      Their address in Montgomery is 1150 John Overton Drive,
      Montgomery, AL 36110-3235.

      Everybody here is stunned. We know that those of you who knew and loved her
      books will feel like you've lost three good friends, Anne and her "two
      sisters," Patricia Anne and Mary Alice.

      -------------
      Thomas Upchurch/Cheryl Upchurch/Eleanor Lucas
      Capitol Book & News Company
      Voice 334-265-1473
      http://www.capitolbook.com
    • bountiful blessings
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 14, 2001
        Hello,
        I am new to this group. I located it through the
        Library. I am simply searching for an ancestor, a
        slave owner named Sam Boyd of Alabama. He was known to
        my grandmother who just passed at age 81 by the term
        Old massa. She said her great grandfather came from a
        place called Boyd, Alabama but I can't find it on any
        map of the state. I know this is a shot in the dark
        but I thought it couldn't hurt to try here as the
        first step in my search.

        thanks to whoever may respond.

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • Buddy Sledge
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15, 2001
          Hi-

          There's a good reason you can't locate Boyd on any map - it's
          basically just a wide-spot in the road. It is located at a cross-roads
          on Highway 17 in Sumter County in the west-central part of the
          state. Other than a store, a few trailers and houses, and a
          cemetery, there isn't much there. The only reason I know anything
          about it is because my grandmother was a Boyd.

          Good luck, "cousin".

          Buddy Sledge
          Truett-McConnell College
        • bountiful blessings
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15, 2001
            thank you for this bit of information. It is getting
            me motivated to keep looking.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/3hgVlB/TM

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Alexander Sartwell
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16, 2001
              Boyd, Alabama is located in Section 17, Township 19 North, Range 3 West,
              approximately six to seven miles north of York, Alabama and approximately
              six miles west of Livingston.

              Alexander Sartwell
              Librarian
              Geological Survey of Alabama /
              State Oil and Gas Board
              P.O. Box 869999, University Station
              Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35486-6999

              Phone: (205) 349-2852
              Fax : (205) 349-2861
              Email: ASARTWELL@...
              GSA Homepage: http://www.gsa.state.al.us/

              --- Buddy Sledge <buddy@...> wrote:
              > Hi-
              >
              > There's a good reason you can't locate Boyd on any
              > map - it's
              > basically just a wide-spot in the road. It is
              > located at a cross-roads
              > on Highway 17 in Sumter County in the west-central
              > part of the
              > state. Other than a store, a few trailers and
              > houses, and a
              > cemetery, there isn't much there. The only reason I
              > know anything
              > about it is because my grandmother was a Boyd.
              >
              > Good luck, "cousin".
              >
              > Buddy Sledge
              > Truett-McConnell College

              > ---------------------~-~>
              > Make good on the promise you made at graduation to
              > keep
              > in touch. Classmates.com has over 14 million
              > registered
              > high school alumni--chances are you'll find your
              > friends!

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/l3joGB/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/3hgVlB/TM

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

              An archive of messages for this list since September 1998 can be viewed at
              http://www.yahoogroups.com/archive/alabamahistory