607Re: Alabama Storm of 1918

  • Max Shores
    Mar 1, 2000
      At 12:27 PM 3/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
      >From: "Ginger Chamberlain" <ginger@...>
      >
      >I am looking for information on a storm that hit SE Alabama around 1918,
      >causing fatalities. I was told that my great grandmother, Bird Harp died in
      >a tornado caused by this storm. Any clues as to where I should look?

      The Weather Company has an online database of weather events located at:

      http://theweathercompany.com/cgi-bin/wxnotebook.pl

      I did a search for January 1918 and found:

      "01/11/1918 - F3 tornado destroys a small rural school in Houston County,
      Alabama near Dothan about 1:40 in the afternoon. 7 of the 40 students and
      the teacher were killed. Nearly every building in the town of Webb, Alabama
      was damaged by the twister. Total fatalities were 10 with 120 injuries, 70
      of them in the town of Webb."

      I don't know if this is the storm you were looking for, but this gives you
      an example of the information you can find. You have to search one month
      at a time.

      Max Shores
      max@...
      http://www.maxconnections.com