familysearch.org's little known resources and services

  • Melissa Hogan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
      Like me, I am sure all of you have search the LDS website
      (familysearch.org) at some point for marriage records, family trees
      and the like. But did you know that there was more? Over the past
      few years I have clicked on about every link or page on the website
      (or so I thought). Did you know that you could order photocopies of
      pages from books or copies of the original marriage certificate from
      the microfilm for $2 per page? Did you know that they had research
      guidelines for each state and most countries available for download?
      What about the forms and history outlines and maps?

      If you answered no I am sure you will enjoy (as I did) perusing this
      page and its associated pages on the LDS site:

      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHL/frameset_library.asp?
      PAGE=library_services.asp

      Click on the link under "Ordering Photocopies by Mail" or go directly
      to the page by using this link:

      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp?
      Page=./research/type/Form.asp&ActiveTab=Type

      I have to admit there is even more tools, tips and guides on the page
      that I mentioned above. Have fun and enjoy! And be prepared to
      spend sometime clicking on all the links and downloading the guides
      you would like to print.

      Melissa
    • June Barker
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
        I was told recently at a meeting that they are going to put all their records on the internet - don't know when that is supposed to happen. Probably not in my lifetime.
        June

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
          You heard correctly . . . see this article from Eastman online last
          month . . .they seem to have a pretty aggressive schedule to do this:

          http://eogn.typepad.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2005/09/lds_church_t
          o_p.html

          Or the full article at

          http://tinyurl.com/8dtz2