File - Group Guidelines

  • alabamagenealogy@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 1, 2013
      Monthly Reminder

      This is a group to help and assist each other with our FAMILY HISTORY...our ancestors were not just names, they were living, breathing people... talking about them and sharing a few personal stories about our living family along the way is okay and how it should be. I hope we make each other laugh once in while as well. We are a "group" not just a list.

      Do not hesitate to ask for lookups from the resources listed in the files section. If you have a resource you would like to add, just email me at genealogistinal@... and let me know. Same for links - if you know of a good site send me the link and I will add for the group.

      A few posting guidelines/suggestions:

      1) Do you really want your message to be read? Many use the subject line to speed up their search. Messages with blank subject lines or irrelevant subjects can hinder your connection with others researching the same families . Both the sender and the receiver have "lost" when a connection they have for each other is not made because of a subject omitted or irrelevant.

      2) "Hijacking" a thread. This isn't as "criminal" as it sounds. Really it is related to the "irrelevant" subjects referred to in #1. Many times when a post is made by someone it can cover several families or lead to other subjects or topics. When replying to a post, check the subject line and update it if necessary.

      3) Flaming. Please, do not flame someone (put them down rather rudely) for something they have done. The individual may be new and did not realize what was correct and proper. Or, an individual can be in a hurry and just do things wrong. Consider that in most instances the act is not on purpose, but accidental. If you must reply, be courteous, polite, and positive and send them a private note.

      Above all, DO NOT flame someone publicly in the group. It is bad manners on the part of the person doing the flaming, and shows disrespect toward all other members of the group.

      If you are publicly flamed in the group, should you send a flame reply to the group? No. If you do so, you are continuing, or joining in with, the flamer�s disrespectful conduct toward all of the group. Do not become a part of the flaming, because any and all flaming is a nuisance to the group.

      If someone makes you angry in the group, go ahead and type a reply (let off the steam) but don't send it. I find that giving myself time to calm down saves me from having to apologize a lot of times :>)

      If you would like to change the frequency of messages from the AlabamaGenealogy Group:

      Go to the AlabamaGenealogy Group home page

      Look just above the blue bar with the text "alabamagenealogy : Alabama Genealogy Group" on the left side of the screen...
      you should see your yahoo id, your email address, role (member)
      and then a "hyperlinked" "Edit Membership"

      Click on Edit Membership

      Under "Step 12" scroll down to "Message Delivery", Choose either
      "Daily Digest" or "No E-mail" depending upon how frequent you would
      like to receive messages.

      Daily Digest means you receive all the posts for a day in the same e-mail message. I subscribe to most all of my other lists in digest mode. "No e-mail" is a good option as well, this simply means you won't get e-mails from the group, but you remain a member and can come check the posts at the website anytime and you can still send e-mails to the group.

      Melissa Hogan
      Moderator
    • alabamagenealogy@yahoogroups.com