Melbourne JUG update

  • Kon Soulianidis
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 16, 2012
      Hi All,

      It has been over a month since my last email so a quick update to let you know that some progress is being made.

      I've gotten in touch with a previous organiser of the Melbourne JUG, Martin P, as well as the former Australian Java User Group lead, David. Both provided some good tips on resources and contacts at Oracle.

      Also have gotten in touch with Oracle JUG co-ordinator overseas and things look promising regarding some form of sponsorship and speakers.

      Still early days, but I was wondering in the meantime if those interested so far would like to meet for an impromptu meet and greet. Venue could be somewhere in the city that isnt too loud like 1000 pound bend or Horse Bazaar.

      And of course if anyone wants to present anything or just do a show and tell of what they are working on, then I can get room at the venue and do that instead. There are projectors to plug laptops into and the like.

      Who ever is interested, reply here, and what night of the week suits. I was thinking a Monday or Wednesday night but indicate your preference and we'll work something out.

      Cheers

      Kon
    • Robert Mark Bram
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2012
        Count me in, Monday or Wednesday are good.

        Rob
        :)

        --
        Rob
        :)

        Profile | General Blog | Technical Blog | Tumblr
      • Andrew Gillett
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2012
          I would like to attend. Don't mind which night.

          Andrew

          Quoting Kon Soulianidis <kon@...>:

          > Hi All,
          >
          > It has been over a month since my last email so a quick update to
          > let you know that some progress is being made.
          >
          > I've gotten in touch with a previous organiser of the Melbourne JUG,
          > Martin P, as well as the former Australian Java User Group lead,
          > David. Both provided some good tips on resources and contacts at
          > Oracle.
          >
          > Also have gotten in touch with Oracle JUG co-ordinator overseas and
          > things look promising regarding some form of sponsorship and speakers.
          >
          > Still early days, but I was wondering in the meantime if those
          > interested so far would like to meet for an impromptu meet and
          > greet. Venue could be somewhere in the city that isnt too loud like
          > 1000 pound bend or Horse Bazaar.
          >
          > And of course if anyone wants to present anything or just do a show
          > and tell of what they are working on, then I can get room at the
          > venue and do that instead. There are projectors to plug laptops
          > into and the like.
          >
          > Who ever is interested, reply here, and what night of the week
          > suits. I was thinking a Monday or Wednesday night but indicate your
          > preference and we'll work something out.
          >
          > Cheers
          >

          > Kon

          PHARMHOS Software Pty Ltd
          Ph. (03) 9645 6300
          Fax (03) 9645 6299
        • Steve Mactaggart
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2012
            I'm changing jobs and will be moving back into the City and would love to get back into the Java group.

            I haven't regularly been since it was run out of Melbourne Uni in Carlton,

            For the on-going meetings I'd rather a Wednesday, but I can probably re-organise my Mondays if need be to be able to come regularly.

            Steve

            On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Kon Soulianidis <kon@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Mark Mandel
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2012
              Wednesdays are good - would like to meet up :)

              Mark

              On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Steve Mactaggart <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

              E: mark.mandel@...
              T: http://www.twitter.com/neurotic
              W: www.compoundtheory.com

              2 Devs from Down Under Podcast

            • Leo Limoni
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 17, 2012
                On 17/02/2012 3:28 PM, Mark Mandel wrote:

[...]

                Hi,
                I'm interested, I'm just off to Queensland for a couple weeks for a holiday, but keep me posted.

                Regards

                Leo
              • Kon Soulianidis
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 20, 2012
                  Looks like next week is out.  A Scala meetup on Monday 27th + an Android one on Wednesday 29th.

                  I'll schedule the impromptu meetup for following Wednesday 7th.  I've also created a meetup group if you find that helps.

                  http://www.meetup.com/Melbourne-Java-JVM-Users-Group/

                  Judging by the responses here, Wednesday's look like the most suitable nights for an ongoing meetup (bar the 2nd or 4th Wed of the month).  Thanks to those who responded so far.

                  -Kon