Inevitable GPL/LGPL Whining

  • micah.snyder
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2006
      hi michael,

      first off, i should say that Ajile is a pretty badass idea, and you
      seem to have executed it pretty well.

      that said, i feel obligated to point out that there's really no point
      in you releasing it under an open source license. the code isn't
      human-readable; if we can't read your code, we can't improve it, and
      hence it'll never be open source in practice.

      if you feel strongly about keeping your code from being stolen --
      which is fine, you did the work after all -- please consider releasing
      it under a copyleft license with restrictions, like Creative Commons
      Attribution-NoDerivs for example. it'll give you the legal protection
      you want without rubbing free software folks the wrong way.

      another option, of course, would be to release human-readable source
      code ;)

      cheers,

      -micah

      ps - if you've already released the source or if this topic duplicates
      another one, please feel free to delete or merge it.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 14, 2006
        Hey Micah,
        Thanks for the kudos, appreciate that :-)

        I do care about protecting my IP (Intellectual Property), it's only
        natural that I would. No one likes getting ripped-off or plagiarized,
        especially when a lot of work goes into creating the end-result ;-)

        Open Source is a great concept if everyone respects and adopts the
        idea and license agreements that support it. That said, Ajile's
        "human-readable" source is available at the project's download site,
        go crazy:

        http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=149163

        Human nature can be surprising we'll see how it plays out with Ajile.
        I hope having access to the source improves everyone's understanding
        and inspires more cooperation and contribution to the project.

        Happy coding/learning/hacking ;-)