IE Support

  • camsoft2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 21, 2006
      Hi,

      I am writing a CMS that uses ajile to manage the javascript.
      All works fine in Firefox but when using Ajile on IE 7 it does not
      work.

      I can't access any of the objects/functions imported with the Import
      ()
      function. I can access the objects by using the full namespace
      notation
      but not the short name. See below example.

      Namespace("biz.toucan");

      Import("biz.toucan.otherFunction");

      biz.toucan.test = new function()
      {
      otherFunction(); // DOES NOT WORK IN IE 7 (GET UNDEFINED MSG)
      biz.toucan.otherFunction(); // DOES WORK IN IE 7
      }

      Import("biz.toucan.test");

      ----

      Also I tested your exmaples on your site and the load and import tests
      also fail in IE. I need IE support otherwise I will have to limit the
      CMS back office to firefox only.

      Look forward to hearing from you.
      Great script by the way, works great in firefox.

      Cameron Cooke.
    • mikeizworkin
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 21, 2006
        Hi Cameron,
        Glad all is working well in Firefox, now about that IE :-)

        What version of Ajile are you using? There was an IE specfic Import
        problem with Ajile 0.5 but it's been resolved in Ajile 0.5.5.

        I have a few requests & questions:

        1. Please download Ajile 0.5.5 and try it with your setup.
        Let me know if you still see the problem.
        Note: Be sure that your browser's cache doesn't hold on
        to an old copy of Ajile.

        2. Did you test the examples on the site or from a download
        and have you tested them since the Ajile 0.5.5 release?

        3. Please enable debugging (i.e. Ajile.EnableDebugging()).

        4. Please view the log after the failure (i.e Ajile.ShowLog())
        and look for ImportAs(...) ...SUCCESS statements. If the
        problem occurred post the log output.
        Note: The log isn't updated in realtime so be sure to show it
        after generating the Import failure.

        That's about as much as I can say at this point. It'll be much easier
        to find a solution once I have your responses to those 4 points.

        -Michael

        --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "camsoft2000" <cameron.cooke@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am writing a CMS that uses ajile to manage the javascript.
        > All works fine in Firefox but when using Ajile on IE 7 it does not
        > work.
        >
        > I can't access any of the objects/functions imported with the Import
        > ()
        > function. I can access the objects by using the full namespace
        > notation
        > but not the short name. See below example.
        >
        > Namespace("biz.toucan");
        >
        > Import("biz.toucan.otherFunction");
        >
        > biz.toucan.test = new function()
        > {
        > otherFunction(); // DOES NOT WORK IN IE 7 (GET UNDEFINED MSG)
        > biz.toucan.otherFunction(); // DOES WORK IN IE 7
        > }
        >
        > Import("biz.toucan.test");
        >
        > ----
        >
        > Also I tested your exmaples on your site and the load and import tests
        > also fail in IE. I need IE support otherwise I will have to limit the
        > CMS back office to firefox only.
        >
        > Look forward to hearing from you.
        > Great script by the way, works great in firefox.
        >
        > Cameron Cooke.

      • Cameron Cooke
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 24, 2006
          Hi,

          1. I am using the latest version 0.5.5

          2. I tested the examples on the site.

          3. Debugging is now enabled.

          4. I displayed the log, there are no error messages. But in IE there
          are additonal log entires after each Load...DONE! of
          ImportAs...PENDING for each module. These pending lines do not extist
          in the firefox logs, and Ajile works fine in firefox.

          I look forward to hearing from you.

          Cameron.

          --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "mikeizworkin" <mikeizworkin@...> wrote:

          > Hi Cameron,
          > Glad all is working well in Firefox, now about that IE :-)
          >
          > What version of Ajile are you using? There was an IE specfic Import
          > problem with Ajile 0.5 but it's been resolved in Ajile 0.5.5.
          >
          > I have a few requests & questions:
          >
          > 1. Please download Ajile 0.5.5 and try it with your setup.
          > Let me know if you still see the problem.
          > Note: Be sure that your browser's cache doesn't hold on
          > to an old copy of Ajile.
          >
          > 2. Did you test the examples on the site or from a download
          > and have you tested them since the Ajile 0.5.5 release?
          >
          > 3. Please enable debugging (i.e. Ajile.EnableDebugging()).
          >
          > 4. Please view the log after the failure (i.e Ajile.ShowLog())
          > and look for ImportAs(...) ...SUCCESS statements. If the
          > problem occurred post the log output.
          > Note: The log isn't updated in realtime so be sure to show it
          > after generating the Import failure.
          >
          > That's about as much as I can say at this point. It'll be much
          easier
          > to find a solution once I have your responses to those 4 points.
          >
          > -Michael
          >
          > --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "camsoft2000" <cameron.cooke@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I am writing a CMS that uses ajile to manage the javascript.
          > > All works fine in Firefox but when using Ajile on IE 7 it does
          not
          > > work.
          > >
          > > I can't access any of the objects/functions imported with the
          Import
          > > ()
          > > function. I can access the objects by using the full namespace
          > > notation
          > > but not the short name. See below example.
          > >
          > > Namespace("biz.toucan");
          > >
          > > Import("biz.toucan.otherFunction");
          > >
          > > biz.toucan.test = new function()
          > > {
          > > otherFunction(); // DOES NOT WORK IN IE 7 (GET UNDEFINED MSG)
          > > biz.toucan.otherFunction(); // DOES WORK IN IE 7
          > > }
          > >
          > > Import("biz.toucan.test");
          > >
          > > ----
          > >
          > > Also I tested your exmaples on your site and the load and import
          tests
          > > also fail in IE. I need IE support otherwise I will have to limit
          the
          > > CMS back office to firefox only.
          > >
          > > Look forward to hearing from you.
          > > Great script by the way, works great in firefox.
          > >
          > > Cameron Cooke.

        • mikeizworkin
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 24, 2006
            Hi Cameron,
            Looks like it'll take some more work to figure this one out. I'd like you to do at least one of the following:

            1. Run the 0.5.5 examples with debugging on and post/upload  the log. It's probably better to upload  the log since it might be fairly lengthy.

            2. Create and upload  a simple sample that showcases the specific problem you're describing.

            At the very least I need you to do suggestion #1 as it'll help me see the sequence of events, giving me a better sense of what might be happening. Suggestion #2 would be more helpful since it'll also show the technique/options you're using to load/import modules, there could be an issue there.

            I'll look for your posts/uploads .

            -Michael

            --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "Cameron Cooke" <cameron.cooke@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > ()
            > > > function. I can access the objects by using the full namespace
            > > > notation
            > > > but not the short name. See below example.
            > > >
            > > > Namespace("biz.toucan");
            > > >
            > > > Import("biz.toucan.otherFunction");
            > > >
            > > > biz.toucan.test = new function()
            > > > {
            > > > otherFunction(); // DOES NOT WORK IN IE 7 (GET UNDEFINED MSG)
            > > > biz.toucan.otherFunction(); // DOES WORK IN IE 7
            > > > }
            > > >
            > > > Import("biz.toucan.test");
            > > >
            > > > ----
            > > >
            > > > Also I tested your exmaples on your site and the load and import
            > tests
            > > > also fail in IE. I need IE support otherwise I will have to limit
            > the
            > > > CMS back office to firefox only.
            > > >
            > > > Look forward to hearing from you.
            > > > Great script by the way, works great in firefox.

          • Cameron Cooke
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 24, 2006
              Hi Michael,

              I have uploaded a zip file containing a very simple example.
              The example works in Firefox, but not in IE. You receive an 'Object
              Expected' error message in Internet Explorer.

              Also in the zip file are two log files captured from running your
              examples bundled with the software. Interestingly they don't error
              for me in IE like the online ones did. There is still inconstancies
              in the error logs though, with the pending messages.

              Thanks,

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 25, 2006
                Hi Cameron,
                Thanks for uploading the sample. Here's the rundown:

                1. Before running your sample I installed IE7 Beta 3 on my WinXP SP2
                box and tested the examples on the site. All ran smoothly without
                errors.

                2. I tried your sample in both Firefox 1.5 and IE7. I saw the
                difference in behavior between the two, but there's more to it...

                Explanation:

                Both browsers have a problem with the sample, not because Ajile isn't
                working, but because of a logic error in the sample. If you look at
                Firefox's JavaScript Console you'll see an error:

                Error: testModule is not defined
                Source file: .../includes/biz.toucan.index.js
                Line: 8

                That's a more detailed explanation of the same problem found by IE:

                Line: 8
                Error: Object expected

                The problem occurs because line 8 in the biz.toucan.index.js file
                causes the testModule() function to be executed during the creation
                of the biz.toucan.index object. At the time that the testModule()
                function is executed, the browser would not have processed the
                biz.toucan.testModule.js file so the biz.toucan.testModule would not
                exist. Ajile therefore, would be unable to provide shortname access
                to it.

                Things that have contributed to the problem:

                1. The behavior of the "= new function()" statement appears to be
                misunderstood.

                When "= new function()" is used, the statements within the
                function's curly braces "{...}" are executed immediately. This is
                different from using the function operator "= function(){...}"
                which defines an anonymous function and assigns it to an
                expression, but does not execute the function's contained
                statements.

                2. The Import directive's operation is not fully understood.

                Basically, the browser needs to completely process the script that
                issues the Import command before it can process the imported script
                and provide short name access to it. This behavior is mentioned in
                the NOTE in the Import documentation at:

                http://ajile.sourceforge.net/docs/api/Directives.htm#Import

                3. The index.js file appears to be misunderstood.

                The index.js file exists to support Model View Control (MVC) style
                development. That is, decoupling/separating an application's Model,
                View and Control from each other. It allows the 3 parts to be
                developed and debugged independently.

                Ajile automatically loads the index.js file, so there's no need to
                include it in a script tag in an HTML page that already includes
                Ajile in a script tag.

                Instead of creating another index.js file like biz.toucan.index.js,
                replace the index.js file's contents with that of the
                biz.toucan.index.js file. If debugging is necessary/desired add the
                Ajile.EnableDebugging() statement to the top of the replaced
                index.js file.

                I've modified the uploaded sample to show how the imported testModule
                function can be used without causing the "Object expected" or
                "testModule is not defined" error messages. The modified sample can
                be found here:

                If you have any questions, or perhaps some things are still unclear or
                don't make sense, don't hesitate to ask.

              • Cameron Cooke
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 25, 2006
                  Hi Michael,

                  Thank you for your helpful answers.

                  My use of Ajile is mainly for the Import routine. The software I'm
                  a developing has lots of JavaScript files with lots of common
                  functions.

                  I have separated the functions and objects into a separate JavaScript
                  files. Some of the functions/objects are dependant on other
                  functions and objects so I use the Import routine in those scripts to
                  import the dependencies. Is this a correct use of Ajile?
                  Also I have lots of different html/php pages, each page needs its own
                  set of functions related to that page. So for example if I have a
                  login.html page I also need a biz.toucan.login.js script to hold all
                  the functions for that script. At the moment I am loading this using
                  the normal <script src...></script> tag in the head section of
                  login.html, I cannot use index.js as this would surely apply to all
                  the html pages that use Ajile?

                  I don't fully understand the Model View Control style. Is there a
                  some documentation or a good guide on this subject that you know of?

                  Thank you for your time.

                  Cameron.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 25, 2006
                    Hi Cameron,
                    Glad to help.

                    Based on your description, Ajile is the right tool for what you're trying to do. One of its key goals  is to simplify defining and supporting script dependencies. That seems to be exactly why you're using it.

                    You're correct about the use of the index.js file. It works well for common script functionality that needs to be shared across multiple pages in a site, but not so well on a per page basis. Not to worry though, you're in luck :-)

                    I've been busily working on Ajile 0.6 which along with other improvements and enhancements will include the ability to auto load a per page script file. It automatically does exactly what you've described doing manually, that is, loading a custom index.js file for each page.

                    I've implemented and tested the new feature and it works well. As announced on Ajile's blog , I expect to release Ajile 0.6 by August 1st; I'm working to squeeze in a few more goodies before that date. So, if you can manage until the 1st, you'll soon have a neat solution to the per page index issue.

                    As far as MVC goes, I couldn't name any books specifically focused on the topic, but you should be able to find information about it in most modern development books. The concept has been around since 1979, I'm sure there are countless books about it :-) My recommendation is to start online with Wikipedia at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-view-controller . That should give you a good overview, and the article's External Links  section should help you find alternate explanations.

                    Good luck and stay tuned :-)

                  • Cameron Cooke
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 26, 2006
                      Hi Michael,

                      Thanks you for your reply. I look
                      forward to 0.6, good work.

                      Thanks again,

> [...]

                      creation
                      > > > of the biz.toucan.index object. At the time that the testModule
                      ()
                      > > > function is executed, the browser would not have processed the
                      > > > biz.toucan.testModule.js file so the biz.toucan.testModule
                      would not
                      > > > exist. Ajile therefore, would be unable to provide shortname
                      access
                      > > > to it.
                      > > >

                      > > > Things that have contributed to the problem:
                      > > >
                      > > > 1. The behavior of the "= new function()" statement appears to
                      be
                      > > > misunderstood.
                      > > >
                      > > > When "= new function()" is used, the statements within the
                      > > > function's curly braces "{...}" are executed immediately.
                      This is
                      > > > different from using the function operator "= function()
                      {...}"