IE issue with 0.5.5

  • bugitfor
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hey Mike, its thomas (if you remember, i posted prev problems in the blog)

      I am running into another issue with IE now and just wanted to let you
      know about it. Hopefully you catch it before you release 0.6:-

      Basically same setup based on widgets as before. I have
      script type="text/javascript"
      Import("v.widgets.SelectContainer","path/");
      /script

      Once i import that I do
      script type="text/javascript"
      SelectContainer.testhash = {h:1,h:2}
      /script

      The above works ok in FF but in IE it errors out saying
      SelectContainer is not defined.

      If i use the complete name then it works in IE. But after you import
      it , you should be able to use the imported name correct?

      I can put up a sample if you need to see the code.

      Thanks,
      Thomas
    • mikeizworkin
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
        Hey Thomas!
        Good to hear from you again. I started replying to you yesterday, but
        got sidetracked.

        So I'd already released 0.6 when I saw your post. I didn't observe any
        import errors during development testing, but then again we've been
        through the different approach issue before :-)

        Can you get Ajile 0.6 and test it with your widget to see if the problem
        still exists? If it appears to have the same problem, 0.6 has a new
        Import Listener feature that should help to resolve the problem.
        Basically you can do:

        Ajile.AddImportListener("v.widgets.SelectContainer",
        myListenerFunction);

        This will allow you to use or trigger the use of SelectContainer only
        after you're sure it's been imported. Look at the Examples.js file in
        the download to see how to use the listener.

        Let me know what you find. I'd also like to see the problem in action so
        if you could put it on your site I'll take a look. You can also upload
        to the Files section in this group.

        -Michael

        --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "bugitfor" <bugitfor@...> wrote:

        > Hey Mike, its thomas (if you remember, i posted prev problems in the
        blog)

        > I am running into another issue with IE now and just wanted to let you
        > know about it. Hopefully you catch it before you release 0.6:-
        >
        > Basically same setup based on widgets as before. I have
        > script type="text/javascript"
        > Import("v.widgets.SelectContainer","path/");
        > /script
        >
        > Once i import that I do
        > script type="text/javascript"
        > SelectContainer.testhash = {h:1,h:2}
        > /script
        >
        > The above works ok in FF but in IE it errors out saying
        > SelectContainer is not defined.
        >
        > If i use the complete name then it works in IE. But after you import
        > it , you should be able to use the imported name correct?
        >
        > I can put up a sample if you need to see the code.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Thomas

      • biqoxopid
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
          I have put up the test html using 0.6 here:-
          http://www.autonode.ca/ajile_bug_import_ie.html

          In FF it works ok
          In IE it errors out(For test purposes i caught the exception and
          displayed error messages).

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
            Also note that in IE if you go to the url and refresh the same page
            and/or close ie and reopen, type the url and go to the page. It
            doesn't show the exact same message dialogs every time. It seems out
            of sync and sometimes some of the dialogs are completely skipped.
          • biqoxopid
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
              oops sorry ignore this message. It was caused by additional
              semi-colons i had in the code. I have fixed that now and now IE
              doesnt go whack with the dialog messages. However the exception still
              occurs .

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
                Hmmm, this one's tricky. Seems you have a talent for finding these ;-)

                I'll take a look at it tonight. I have some ideas about the cause and
                possible solution that I want to try.

                Thanks for the report.

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 11, 2006
                  Hi Thomas,
                  It's been a while, but I have a possible solution, more like a
                  workaround for the issue you reported. I've uploaded my modified
                  version of your sample code.

                  So far, this is the only viable solution I've been able to
                  successfully execute on IE consistently. That said, it still doesn't
                  feel quite clean, but maybe that's just because of the try blocks.

                  I'm still working on resolving the whole IE import issue. It seems to
                  be one of those issues that'll take some truely creative and clear
                  thinking, and maybe luck ;-).

                  I've posted my changes to:

                  Files > Ajile Tests > Thomas > ajile-fix-import-ie.zip

                  Try it and let me know if you can work with the approach I used.

                  You should be able to use the import listener + per-page loader
                  approach. I remember in the past you'd said that the original shared
                  loader didn't quite fit your use scenarios, but from what I
                  understood, the new per-page loaders should be a better fit...

                  IE, IE, IE, what can I say, it's oh so good when it works, but oh so
                  painful when it doesn't. Gotta love the challenge :-)