XUL and Ajile

  • rme451
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 17, 2008
      Hello,

      Please excuse my ignorance if this is an obvious question, but...

      We are putting together an addon for Firefox & I'm investigating
      whether we can use Ajile to enable our users to extend it.

      I have an overlay XUL file that contains the script tag to include the
      Ajile library. I turned MVC off. But any Ajile calls I make generate
      errors indicating that the Ajile library's not been found or loaded
      correctly.

      For example the call Ajile.ShowLog() gives the exception
      "ReferenceError: Ajile is not defined".

      Putting some alerts in the ajile file indicates that it is loaded.

      Thanks in advance for your help.
    • mikeizworkin
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17, 2008
        Hi,
        Thanks for posting and providing error information.

        Is it possible for you to post a sample of XUL file using Ajile the way you're trying to?

        I can think of one possibility for why you're seeing a problem...Please try the following and
        let me know if it solves the problem.

        Load Ajile as follows in your XUL page:

        <script ... src=".../com.iskitz.ajile.js?cloakoff,mvcoff,mvcshareoff"></script>

        Seems you may already understand, but just in case you don't, the mvcoff and
        mvcshareoff load-time settings deactivate Ajile's default MVC support for auto loading the
        current pages' control script (my.js for my.xul) and the shared control script (index.js).
        This auto-load behavior is enabled by default.

        Using the cloakoff load-time setting might solve the problem because it deactivates Ajile's
        default cloaking behavior that automatically removes dynamically generated script tags
        from the DOM immediately after the loaded scripts are processed. The extensions
        environment may be removing processed scripts from memory when Ajile removes their
        tags from the DOM. In the client-side environment, removing scripts from the DOM
        doesn't unload them from memory, so cloaking has no negative effects there.

        Please try using cloakoff and let me know if it works. A XUL sample using Ajile would also
        be very helpful.

        Thanks!
        Michael

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 17, 2008
          --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "mikeizworkin" <mikeizworkin@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          > Thanks for posting and providing error information.
          >
          > Is it possible for you to post a sample of XUL file using Ajile the
          way you're trying to?

          Hi Michael,

          Thanks very much for the quick and encouraging response.

          With a dumb question like that I was expecting short shrift, so
          thankyou!

          Your library is elegant & seems to offer exactly what we're looking
          for, so I'm hopeful that we may be able to use it from firefox addon
          land.

          I'm developing using Firefox 2.0.0.18.

          I tried the cloakoff setting without any luck.

          I tried your 'cloakoff,mvcoff,mvcshareoff' and established (with
          alerts) the file was being included.

          I enabled the alert in the src (com.iskitz.ajile.1.2.1.src.js)
          version, and (ominously) got a full house of falses:

          alert("LOADER: "+getMainLoader(document)
          +"\n\nisSimple: "+isSimple+"\nisDOM: "+isDOM+"\nisDOM05: "+isDOM05+"\n
          isDOM1: "+isDOM1+"\nisDOM2: "+isDOM2);

          This might be because the document is a XULElement according to
          getMainLoader.

          I have bundled together an (experimental) version of what we intend
          to offer our users:

          http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/197051/extdev.zip

          It might indicate where I've gone wrong.

          The readme will give you an idea about how to set-up.

          Let me know if it won't fire-up right, & apologies in advance for its
          lack of sophistication.

          If you do a search-in-files (*.xul;*.js) for 'AJILE-TEST' it will
          take you to my feeble attempts to get up to speed.

          Thanks once again for your help.

          Regards,

          Richard
        • mikeizworkin
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 17, 2008
            Richard,
            No problem. Thanks for responding with details and posting the problematic code.

            I've downloaded it and will try to take a look at this tonight. Hopefully I'll find a solution
            that meets your needs. Not sure when I'll know for sure, but I'll keep you posted.

            Best,
            Michael

            --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "rme451" <rme451@...> wrote:

            > --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "mikeizworkin" <mikeizworkin@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > > Thanks for posting and providing error information.
            > >
            > > Is it possible for you to post a sample of XUL file using Ajile the
            > way you're trying to?
            > >

            > Hi Michael,
            >
            > Thanks very much for the quick and encouraging response.
            >
            > With a dumb question like that I was expecting short shrift, so
            > thankyou!
            >
            > Your library is elegant & seems to offer exactly what we're looking
            > for, so I'm hopeful that we may be able to use it from firefox addon
            > land.
            >
            > I'm developing using Firefox 2.0.0.18.
            >
            > I tried the cloakoff setting without any luck.
            >
            > I tried your 'cloakoff,mvcoff,mvcshareoff' and established (with
            > alerts) the file was being included.
            >
            > I enabled the alert in the src (com.iskitz.ajile.1.2.1.src.js)
            > version, and (ominously) got a full house of falses:
            >
            > alert("LOADER: "+getMainLoader(document)
            > +"\n\nisSimple: "+isSimple+"\nisDOM: "+isDOM+"\nisDOM05: "+isDOM05+"\n
            > isDOM1: "+isDOM1+"\nisDOM2: "+isDOM2);
            >
            > This might be because the document is a XULElement according to
            > getMainLoader.
            >
            > I have bundled together an (experimental) version of what we intend
            > to offer our users:
            >
            > http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/197051/extdev.zip
            >
            > It might indicate where I've gone wrong.
            >
            > The readme will give you an idea about how to set-up.
            >
            > Let me know if it won't fire-up right, & apologies in advance for its
            > lack of sophistication.
            >
            > If you do a search-in-files (*.xul;*.js) for 'AJILE-TEST' it will
            > take you to my feeble attempts to get up to speed.
            >
            > Thanks once again for your help.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Richard

          • mikeizworkin
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 20, 2008
              Richard,
              I've spent some time looking at Ajile working with your extension and am definitely hitting
              some challenges, the least of which is understanding XUL's structure: overlays, expected
              behavior of dynamic DOM updates, specifically dynamic scripts.

              I'm going to spend some more time looking into this, I'm curious why the XUL environment
              is behaving differently. I've modified Ajile such that the loaded scripts get written to the
              DOM, but those scripts don''t seem to be executing.

              Maybe you can help me better understand the XUL environment. I've been looking through
              Mozilla's Developer Center XUL Docs, but haven't found a clean simple explanation of
              DOM differences between client-side pages and extensions...

              I'm trying to understand whether XUL can handle dynamic scripts via DOM updates or if
              some other special loader is needed.

              Michael

            • rme451
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 21, 2008
                --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "mikeizworkin" <mikeizworkin@...> wrote:

                > Richard,
                > I've spent some time looking at Ajile working with your extension
                and am definitely hitting
                > some challenges, the least of which is understanding XUL's
                structure: overlays, expected
                > behavior of dynamic DOM updates, specifically dynamic scripts.
                >
                > I'm going to spend some more time looking into this, I'm curious why
                the XUL environment
                > is behaving differently. I've modified Ajile such that the loaded
                scripts get written to the
                > DOM, but those scripts don''t seem to be executing.
                >
                > Maybe you can help me better understand the XUL environment. I've
                been looking through
                > Mozilla's Developer Center XUL Docs, but haven't found a clean
                simple explanation of
                > DOM differences between client-side pages and extensions...
                >
                > I'm trying to understand whether XUL can handle dynamic scripts via
                DOM updates or if
                > some other special loader is needed.
                >
                > Michael

                Hi Michael,

                Thanks very much for your reply.

                I think it's a lost cause!

                I'm sorry I can't be more help.

                I don't want to waste your time, but I wonder if some specific
                initialization at the start of every page load might be of use with
                AJILE in an extension?

                Please see http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/197051/overlay2.js for an
                example of what I've been trying.

                Really appreciate your time, and many thanks again for your help.

                Regards,

                Richard
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 21, 2008
                  Richard!

                  Don't give up just yet! :-)

                  It's funny, I thought about emailing you around 4 PM today to let you
                  know I'd found the solution, but decided to work out all of the kinks
                  first.

                  Yes, it's true, Ajile can work the way you'd like *and* in the
                  extensions environment. I'm cleaning up my test code and will post the
                  working version of your extension as soon as I'm finished.

                  Cheers!

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 22, 2008
                    Okay Richard.

                    All set :-) I've uploaded a functional version of your EBI Toolbar
                    Firefox Extension here:

                    http://drop.io/ebitoolbar/

                    The ebitoolbar.michael.4.zip file contains my changes, the
                    ebitoolbar.richard.1.zip file contains what you originally sent me.

                    I've left comments throughout the scripts I've created and modified so
                    you should be able to find your way through without a problem.

                    The key files to look at are:

                    1. firefoxOverlay.xul
                    2. com.iskitz.ajile.1.2.1-ebi.src.js
                    3. browser.js

                    Basically, your XUL overlay loads Ajile which then loads browser.js
                    because the actual firefox XUL document is browser.xul.

                    Thanks a lot for contacting me. It's given me the opportunity to
                    update Ajile to support yet another environment Firefox Extensions
                    (XUL), so thanks :-)

                    I'll be doing further investigation to better understand the
                    differences in the XUL environment so that the official Ajile library
                    can be used "as is" there as well as in all of its currently supported
                    environments (aka client-side pages in just about every browser).

                    Let me know how it goes and if you have questions.

                    Best,
                    Michael

                    --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "iskitzdev" <ajile@...> wrote:

                    > Richard!
                    >
                    > Don't give up just yet! :-)
                    >
                    > It's funny, I thought about emailing you around 4 PM today to let you
                    > know I'd found the solution, but decided to work out all of the kinks
                    > first.
                    >
                    > Yes, it's true, Ajile can work the way you'd like *and* in the
                    > extensions environment. I'm cleaning up my test code and will post the
                    > working version of your extension as soon as I'm finished.
                    >
                    > Cheers!
                    > Michael
                    >
                    > --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "rme451" <rme451@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Michael,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks very much for your reply.
                    > >
                    > > I think it's a lost cause!
                    > >
                    > > I'm sorry I can't be more help.
                    > >
                    > > I don't want to waste your time, but I wonder if some specific
                    > > initialization at the start of every page load might be of use with
                    > > AJILE in an extension?
                    > >
                    > > Please see http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/197051/overlay2.js for an
                    > > example of what I've been trying.
                    > >
                    > > Really appreciate your time, and many thanks again for your help.
                    > >
                    > > Regards,
                    > >
                    > > Richard
                    > >

                    > > --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, "mikeizworkin" <mikeizworkin@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Richard,
                    > > > I've spent some time looking at Ajile working with your extension
                    > > and am definitely hitting
                    > > > some challenges, the least of which is understanding XUL's
                    > > structure: overlays, expected
                    > > > behavior of dynamic DOM updates, specifically dynamic scripts.
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm going to spend some more time looking into this, I'm curious why
                    > > the XUL environment
                    > > > is behaving differently. I've modified Ajile such that the loaded
                    > > scripts get written to the
                    > > > DOM, but those scripts don''t seem to be executing.
                    > > >
                    > > > Maybe you can help me better understand the XUL environment. I've
                    > > been looking through
                    > > > Mozilla's Developer Center XUL Docs, but haven't found a clean
                    > > simple explanation of
                    > > > DOM differences between client-side pages and extensions...
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm trying to understand whether XUL can handle dynamic scripts via
                    > > DOM updates or if
                    > > > some other special loader is needed.
                    > > >
                    > > > Michael

                  • Michael
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 23, 2008
                      Hi Richard,
                      Ajile works well for dynamically loading EBI Toolbar plugins.

                      I've extracted example 0 of your Google Scholar Examples into a
                      separate JavaScript file and updated the EBI Toolbar extension to
                      demonstrate how this and other plugins can easily be dynamically
                      loaded using Ajile. The updated files are posted at:

                      http://drop.io/ebitoolbar/

                      Do the following to see a working example:

                      1. Download the ebitoolbar.michael.5.zip file.

                      2. Extract and use it's contents as your EBI Toolbar Extension
                      within Firefox.

                      3. Launch Firefox.

                      4. Hit Enter through all alert boxes.

                      5. Press F2, it should alert confirming F2 was pressed, then after
                      you hit Enter, prompt you for input.

                      6. Either hit Enter or change the prompt's default info. I recommend
                      enter the first time around.

                      7. Use the EBI Toolbar to load Google Scholar then perform a search
                      and observe the listed results.

                      Basically The example shows that the EBI Toolbar using Ajile can
                      dynamically load internal or external script files on-demand. The
                      external script file used by default in my example (Google Scholars
                      Example 0) resides here: http://tinyurl.com/5sjdrv/

                      You can try creating plugins elsewhere including on your local drive
                      then access them via their absolute URLs, i.e. file:///local/path/to/
                      a/Plugin.js

                      I've used Ajile to successfully load the following:

                      - plugins that exist within the extension.
                      - plugins that exist outside of the extension, but on a local drive
                      - plugins that exist outside of the extension, on the web (i.e.
                      http://tinyurl.com/5sjdrv/ )

                      The fwim.js file within ebitoolbar.michael.5.zip contains code at
                      lines 108 through 129 that demonstrates how to load and execute plugins.

                      Very little of Ajile's functionality has been used to show how what
                      you've asked for is possible. If you wish or need, you can delve
                      deeper and make use of it's Namespacing and Importing functionality
                      to define dependencies between your scripts.

                      I've enjoyed working with your EBI Toolbar extension and learned a
                      good deal in the process.

                      Best of luck and feel free to contact me with any questions.

                      Cheers!
                      Michael

                      P.S. The tinyurl link might eventually lead you to a 500 resource
                      timed out at drop.io, if that happens, just copy the file's Download
                      link location and use that, but it's pretty long so you might want to
                      use tinyurl.com to shorten it and try again.

                      On Nov 22, 2008, at 9:19 PM, Richard Easty wrote:

                      > Hi Michael,
                      >
                      > Thanks very much for your efforts.
                      >
                      > We really appreciate your help.
                      >
                      > Our plan is to try to support 'plugins' for our toolbar.
                      >
                      > Most of the code will be deployed as an extension and will be
                      > loaded in
                      > the 'normal' way.
                      >
                      > Users will develop their own functions which we'll host at ebi.
                      >
                      > We're thinking that these functions could be loaded if and when the
                      > user
                      > wants them via Ajile. Perhaps we'll offer a list of all available
                      > functions and the user will select from it.
                      >
                      > So in other words, the js classes that live at ebi will be versions
                      > of the
                      > plugin examples I supplied.
                      >
                      > Do you think Ajile will support this?
                      >
                      > Thanks again,
                      >
                      > Richard

                    • Michael
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
                        Richard!
                        Sorry for the delay, just getting back from the long Thanksgiving
                        holiday.

                        Thanks for the kind words. I'm very happy that Ajile is helping you
                        and your team better achieve your goals :-)

                        I took a look at your sample and have created a working version
                        (ebitoolbar.michael.7.zip) at http://drop.io/ebitoolbar/

                        A few key points:

                        - Ajile's MVC setting has no effect on the issue shown in your sample.

                        - Ajile's Listeners are more reliable when used with Include, Import,
                        and ImportAs statements.

                        Take a look at the testPluginStatic() function within the scripts/
                        fwim.js file in the michael.7 sample. The updated sample builds on
                        the michael.5 sample. I've modified your alert statements to use the
                        EBILogger so that you can clearly see the loading and listener
                        handling sequences.

                        Let me know how things go and as always, feel free to ask any questions.

                        -Michael