Load parameters?

  • cahorton
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 19, 2008
      Hi, I want to load a remote script into a specific div on my page
      rather than having it take over the whole page. It sounds like this
      is possible from the docs, but I've yet to see an example of this. I
      tried passing the div both as an object and by its string name and id
      with no luck.

      var foo = document.getElementById('foo');
      Load("http://fb.dipity.com/embed.js?tid=dt*beck", foo);

      and
      Load("http://fb.dipity.com/embed.js?tid=dt*beck", "foo");

      don't work. What's the right way to do this, or is it impossible?
    • Michael Lee
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 20, 2008
        Hi "cahorton",
        Thanks for writing and introducing me to Dipity! Hadn't heard of it until now; looks interesting.

        So I spent some time playing with Ajile and Dipity and have the following to share with you:

        Why the widget hogs the entire page?:

        The Dipity script uses document.write(...) to create its widget. This causes the entire document's contents to be overwritten if the script is loaded after the page has loaded. I suspect that the Dipity team intended their script to run *as the page loads* thereby creating the widget inline instead of after the page loads which will always overwrite the entire page.

        So what can you do?:

        I've listed a two options you may be able to use to workaround Dipity's document.write() approach:

        1. Inline Loading:

        If you have access to the page's (X)HTML, place the

        Load("http://fb.dipity.com/embed.js?tid=dt*beck");

        statement in a script tag within your target div. Doing this will allow the widget to be rendered in the intended position while the page loads.

        2. Intercepting document.write:

        Override the document.write method as follows:

        var originalWrite = document.write;

        document.write = function(data)
        {
        // Write out the widget to your div.
        yourDiv.innerHTML = data;

        // Restore the original document.write.
        document.write = originalWrite;
        }

        This will intercept the Dipity script's widget creation and redirect it to your target div. This works in Firefox, but you should test it with each of the browsers you plan to support.

        So what can I do?:

        Thanks to your useful feedback I will update Ajile to support loading scripts into any HTML element that will allow it. Ajile currently supports document, and window references. Here is an explanation of Ajile's current behavior:

        The container parameter in Ajile's Load directive is currently meant to support loading scripts into other windows or frames and so expects a window, frame or document reference. I overlooked the scenario of loading a script into another element. I will definitely add that functionality to the next release.

        Please let me know if the suggestions above worked for you.

        Good luck and thanks for the feedback!

        Hi, I want to load a remote script into a specific div on my page
        rather than having it take over the whole page. It sounds like this
        is possible from the docs, but I've yet to see an example of this. I
        tried passing the div both as an object and by its string name and id
        with no luck.

        var foo = document.getElement ById('foo' );
        Load("http://fb.dipity com/embed. js?tid=dt* beck", foo);

        and
        Load("http://fb.dipity com/embed. js?tid=dt* beck", "foo");

        don't work. What's the right way to do this, or is it impossible?

        <!--

        #ygrp-mkp{
        #ygrp-mkp hr{
        border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
        #ygrp-mkp #hd{
        #ygrp-mkp #ads{
        margin-bottom:10px;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad{
        padding:0 0;}
        #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
        color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
        font-family:Arial;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
        margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
        -->

        <!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
        #ygrp-text{
        font-family:Georgia;}
        #ygrp-text p{
        margin:0 0 1em 0;}
        #ygrp-tpmsgs{
        font-family:Arial;clear:both;}
        #ygrp-vitnav{
        #ygrp-vitnav a{
        padding:0 1px;}
        #ygrp-actbar{
        #ygrp-actbar .left{
        float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
        .bld{font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-grft{
        #ygrp-ft{
        font-family:verdana;font-size:77%;border-top:1px solid #666;padding:5px 0;}
        #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
        padding-bottom:10px;}

        #ygrp-reco {
        margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}
        #ygrp-reco #reco-head {
        font-weight:bold;color:#ff7900;}

        #reco-grpname{
        font-weight:bold;margin-top:10px;}
        #reco-category{
        font-size:77%;}
        #reco-desc{
        font-size:77%;}

        #ygrp-vital{
        #ygrp-vital #vithd{
        #ygrp-vital ul{
        padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li{
        list-style-type:none;clear:both;border:1px solid #e0ecee;}
        #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
        #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
        font-weight:bold;}
        #ygrp-vital a{
        text-decoration:none;}

        #ygrp-vital a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}

        #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
        color:#999;font-size:77%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
        padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
        #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
        text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
        #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
        padding:8px 0;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
        text-decoration:none;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
        text-decoration:underline;}
        #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
        margin:0;}
        o{font-size:0;}
        .MsoNormal{
        margin:0 0 0 0;}
        #ygrp-text tt{
        font-size:120%;}
        blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
        .replbq{margin:4;}
        -->

      • cahorton
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22, 2008
          --- In ajile@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lee <mikeizworkin@...> wrote:

          > Hi "cahorton",
          > Thanks for writing and introducing me to Dipity! Hadn't heard of it
          until now; looks interesting.

          > So I spent some time playing with Ajile and Dipity and have the
          following to share with you:

          [snip]

          Thanks a million for the great work and the suggestions! I'll try
          them out... Best,

          -c