VHF radio as AIS signal source

  • burgoynebc
    Message 1 of 8 , May 6, 2013
      I bought and setup an old VHF as backup and AIS receiver following instructions on website avail many months ago. I have not managed to "trap" the signal and pipe it to this program. I am wondering if anyone has been sucessful in using a really old VHF with non-chip descriminator circuit?
    • lukihelgi
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7, 2013
        --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "burgoynebc" <burgoynebc@...> wrote:

        > I bought and setup an old VHF as backup and AIS receiver following instructions on website avail many months ago. I have not managed to "trap" the signal and pipe it to this program. I am wondering if anyone has been sucessful in using a really old VHF with non-chip descriminator circuit?

        Hi

        Just did mine two weeks ago. I found my IC by it's model number here: http://www.discriminator.nl/ic/index.html
        I had no syncs only errors before I went direct.

        good luck,
      • burgoynebc
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 24, 2013

          Thanks

          Unfortunately you don't know the vintage of a radio untill you dismantle it. Mine does not have a "chip" at all - just a ton of transistors

          ---In aismon@yahoogroups.com, <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "burgoynebc" <burgoynebc@...> wrote:

          > I bought and setup an old VHF as backup and AIS receiver following instructions on website avail many months ago. I have not managed to "trap" the signal and pipe it to this program. I am wondering if anyone has been sucessful in using a really old VHF with non-chip descriminator circuit?

          Hi

          Just did mine two weeks ago. I found my IC by it's model number here: http://www.discriminator.nl/ic/index.html
          I had no syncs only errors before I went direct.

          good luck,
        • Ulrich G. Kliegis
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 25, 2013
            An: <aismon@yahoogroups.com>
            Von: <burgoynebc@...>
            Datum: 24 Sep 2013 22:41:40 -0700
            Betreff: [aismon] RE: VHF radio as AIS signal source
            Antwort an: <aismon@yahoogroups.com>

            > Unfortunately you don't know the vintage of a radio untill you
            > dismantle it. Mine does not have a "chip" at all - just a ton of
            > transistors

            No tubes? Then it ain't vintage! :)

            Cheers,
            U.
          • pepping_mark
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 25, 2013

              @burgoynebc

              what radio do you have?

              > Unfortunately you don't know the vintage of a radio untill you
              > dismantle it. Mine does not have a "chip" at all - just a ton of
              > transistors

              No tubes? Then it ain't vintage! :)

              Cheers,
              U.
            • Pedro
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 25, 2013

                Go here http://www.discriminator.nl/index-en.html and see if your radio is listed, you may have some luck..

                Pedro - CT1EKD

                Unfortunately you don't know the vintage of a radio untill you dismantle it. Mine does not have a "chip" at all - just a ton of transistors

                ---In aismon@yahoogroups.com, <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "burgoynebc" <burgoynebc@...> wrote:

                > I bought and setup an old VHF as backup and AIS receiver following instructions on website avail many months ago. I have not managed to "trap" the signal and pipe it to this program. I am wondering if anyone has been sucessful in using a really old VHF with non-chip descriminator circuit?

                Hi

                Just did mine two weeks ago. I found my IC by it's model number here: http://www.discriminator.nl/ic/index.html
                I had no syncs only errors before I went direct.

                good luck,

              • zl1ujg
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 26, 2013
                  Hi
                  I use a FRG8800 and modified the discriminator output to a phone socket. This is fed into a line input on a USB  sound card,
                  I  decode ships intermittently out at 100km over a 3000ft mountain range. I use a small 4 element Yagi which is made from a old TV antenna. I have a homemade LNA.
                  I have a www.marinetraffic.com page with 238 number
                  Kevin
                • burgoynebc
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 30, 2013

                    Good question.Mark:

                    I'll have a look at it on my next trip down to the boat. The nameplate is the only ID on it. I picked the radio up at a second-hand store to experiment with. Funny thing is that it transmits further than my main unit at 50 ft above water - with only a rubber ducky antenna.

                    ---In aismon@yahoogroups.com, <nzpepping@...> wrote:

                    @burgoynebc

                    what radio do you have?