PC compability and audio hardware

  • sire785
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 14, 2012
      Hello,
      I am monitoring AIS signals with an ICR-2500 RX connected to a classic latitude PC with no problem.
      Since this PC cannot be locked at home, I tried to use an EEC Acer mini PC with a Realtek HD audio input. This PC seems to behave strangely since I was able weeks ago to monitor AIS signals but, for a while, no more signals are valid. The level bargraph is 100% but I get very few Syncs, all recorded as errors.
      I suspect some thing wrong with the audio signal configuration. The input is the 1.5mm side micro jack.
      If anybody has experienced such a problem, a help or hint is welcomed.
      Olivier
    • la2pj
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 14, 2012
        I experienced the same problem when decoding HFDL transmission. Suddenly the decode rate decreased, an only random transmissions were actually decoded. When I tried to record directly from an external microphone, the recording sounded weak and distorted when played back.
        I guess I had overloaded the Realtech input resulting in electronic parts breakdown.
        I rectified the problem by buying a Sandberg USB soundcard, which was the only one available with my local dealer at the time. But later I have also tried a couple of cheepo USB soundcards bought for less than ten buck on ebay.
        Maybe you are experiencing the same problem as I had with my eee pc?

        Good Luck!

        Egil - LA2PJ

        --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "sire785" <osire@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am monitoring AIS signals with an ICR-2500 RX connected to a classic latitude PC with no problem.
        > Since this PC cannot be locked at home, I tried to use an EEC Acer mini PC with a Realtek HD audio input. This PC seems to behave strangely since I was able weeks ago to monitor AIS signals but, for a while, no more signals are valid. The level bargraph is 100% but I get very few Syncs, all recorded as errors.
        > I suspect some thing wrong with the audio signal configuration. The input is the 1.5mm side micro jack.
        > If anybody has experienced such a problem, a help or hint is welcomed.
        > Olivier

      • Ever Gagrossa
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 19, 2012
          I've had similar problems with an Acer Aspire One ( Realtek sound chip) A usb external sound card, solved my problems.( Cmedia sound chip).

          I experienced the same problem when decoding HFDL transmission. Suddenly the decode rate decreased, an only random transmissions were actually decoded. When I tried to record directly from an external microphone, the recording sounded weak and distorted when played back.
          I guess I had overloaded the Realtech input resulting in electronic  parts breakdown.
          I rectified the problem by buying a Sandberg USB soundcard, which was the only one available with my local dealer at the time. But later I have also tried a couple of cheepo USB soundcards bought for less than ten buck on ebay.
          Maybe you are experiencing the same problem as I had with my eee pc?

          Good Luck!

          Egil - LA2PJ

          --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "sire785" <osire@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I am monitoring AIS signals with an ICR-2500 RX connected to a classic latitude PC with no problem.
          > Since this PC cannot be locked at home, I tried to use an EEC Acer mini PC with a Realtek HD audio input. This PC seems to behave strangely since I was able weeks ago to monitor AIS signals but, for a while, no more signals are valid. The level bargraph is 100% but I get very few Syncs, all recorded as errors.
          > I suspect some thing wrong with the audio signal configuration. The input is the 1.5mm side micro jack.
          > If anybody has experienced such a problem, a help or hint is welcomed.
          > Olivier

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              aismon-digest@yahoogroups.com
              aismon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Gervais Fillion
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 20, 2012
            Hi all
            if i may ask,i am looking for a used AIS receiver:would you know a web site where they are some on sale?
            i have try to listen with a software but no luck with my IBM 390 portable.

            Maybe i could have an helping hand for my project.

            i dont care the model,it just have to listen at the frequency thats all.
            thanks and i appriciated the moderator if he can let me send my request for help.
            73
            gervais

            To: aismon@yahoogroups.com
            From: evergagrossa@...
            Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:11:08 -0700
            Subject: Re: [aismon] Re: PC compability and audio hardware

            I've had similar problems with an Acer Aspire One ( Realtek sound chip) A usb external sound card, solved my problems.( Cmedia sound chip).

            I experienced the same problem when decoding HFDL transmission. Suddenly the decode rate decreased, an only random transmissions were actually decoded. When I tried to record directly from an external microphone, the recording sounded weak and distorted when played back.
            I guess I had overloaded the Realtech input resulting in electronic  parts breakdown.
            I rectified the problem by buying a Sandberg USB soundcard, which was the only one available with my local dealer at the time. But later I have also tried a couple of cheepo USB soundcards bought for less than ten buck on ebay.
            Maybe you are experiencing the same problem as I had with my eee pc?

            Good Luck!

            Egil - LA2PJ

            --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "sire785" <osire@...> wrote:

            > Hello,
            > I am monitoring AIS signals with an ICR-2500 RX connected to a classic latitude PC with no problem.
            > Since this PC cannot be locked at home, I tried to use an EEC Acer mini PC with a Realtek HD audio input. This PC seems to behave strangely since I was able weeks ago to monitor AIS signals but, for a while, no more signals are valid. The level bargraph is 100% but I get very few Syncs, all recorded as errors.
            > I suspect some thing wrong with the audio signal configuration. The input is the 1.5mm side micro jack.
            > If anybody has experienced such a problem, a help or hint is welcomed.
            > Olivier

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                aismon-digest@yahoogroups.com
                aismon-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Ken May
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 21, 2012
              I found eBay is a good source of AIS radios.
              73
              Ken

              From: evergagrossa@...
              Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 06:11:08 -0700

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
                Hi all,
                well if i used an Receiver at the frequency of AIS ,Channel 87 – 161.975 MHz and Channel 88 – 162.025 MHz and and install a cable between the soundcard LINE IN,and the speaker output of my receiver,,,would it work?
                i should setup the soundcard at 48,000 hz ?
                what software should i used ?

                i thaught i would adjust it at 9,600 at the place of 48000 ,
                would i see something on my pc monitor if i decode right?
                thanks for your help,

                if it worked,i have a well situated radio site here and high speed internet so i would gave coverage locally.

                thanks for your guidance,if i could find a video that explein how to set it up it would be great
                73
                Gervais

                --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "Ken May" <lfoofui.nbz42@...> wrote:

                > I found eBay is a good source of AIS radios.
                > 73
                > Ken

              • Rivai YE3AA
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
                  receiver speaker output is unusable. you can use any radio which has 9600 bps pin out.

                  well if i used an Receiver at the frequency of AIS ,Channel 87 – 161.975 MHz and Channel 88 – 162.025 MHz and and install a cable between the soundcard LINE IN,and the speaker output of my receiver,,,would it work?
                  i should setup the soundcard at 48,000 hz ?
                  what software should i used ?

                  i thaught i would adjust it at 9,600 at the place of 48000 ,
                  would i see something on my pc monitor if i decode right?
                  thanks for your help,

                  if it worked,i have a well situated radio site here and high speed internet so i would gave coverage locally.

                  thanks for your guidance,if i could find a video that explein how to set it up it would be great
                  73
                  Gervais

                  --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "Ken May" <lfoofui.nbz42@...> wrote:

                  > I found eBay is a good source of AIS radios.
                  > 73
                  > Ken

                • Richard
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012
                    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=ais+unleashed

                    --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "gervais" <ve2ckn2@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    > well if i used an Receiver at the frequency of AIS ,Channel 87 � 161.975 MHz and Channel 88 � 162.025 MHz and and install a cable between the soundcard LINE IN,and the speaker output of my receiver,,,would it work?
                    > i should setup the soundcard at 48,000 hz ?
                    > what software should i used ?
                    >
                    > i thaught i would adjust it at 9,600 at the place of 48000 ,
                    > would i see something on my pc monitor if i decode right?
                    > thanks for your help,
                    >
                    > if it worked,i have a well situated radio site here and high speed internet so i would gave coverage locally.
                    >
                    > thanks for your guidance,if i could find a video that explein how to set it up it would be great
                    > 73
                    > Gervais
                    >
                    > --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "Ken May" <lfoofui.nbz42@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I found eBay is a good source of AIS radios.
                    > > 73
                    > > Ken

                  • Alan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 7, 2012

                      >receiver speaker output is unusable. you can use any radio which has 9600 bps pin out.

                      I've only tried AIS once.
                      I fed the audio to AISDecoder. It is then passed to aismon through a Virtual serial port.
                      That's about all I remember without trying again...

                      Alan
                    • Gervais Fillion
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 8, 2012

                        thanks

                        www.michelebard.com

                        To: aismon@yahoogroups.com
                        From: acampb5160@...
                        Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 05:55:06 +0000

                        http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=ais+unleashed

                        --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "gervais" <ve2ckn2@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        > well if i used an Receiver at the frequency of AIS ,Channel 87 � 161.975 MHz and Channel 88 � 162.025 MHz and and install a cable between the soundcard LINE IN,and the speaker output of my receiver,,,would it work?
                        > i should setup the soundcard at 48,000 hz ?
                        > what software should i used ?
                        >
                        > i thaught i would adjust it at 9,600 at the place of 48000 ,
                        > would i see something on my pc monitor if i decode right?
                        > thanks for your help,
                        >
                        > if it worked,i have a well situated radio site here and high speed internet so i would gave coverage locally.
                        >
                        > thanks for your guidance,if i could find a video that explein how to set it up it would be great
                        > 73
                        > Gervais
                        >
                        > --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "Ken May" <lfoofui.nbz42@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I found eBay is a good source of AIS radios.
                        > > 73
                        > > Ken

                      • Gervais Fillion
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 8, 2012

                          well seems logical,
                          i have the chance to have a good coverage site here with high speed internet,i dont need an VHF radio because i just want too listen at the frequency and rebtransmit at the good server what i would have heard.

                          thanks
                          gervais
                          ve2ckn

                          www.michelebard.com