Re: [aismon] New AIS Android Application

  • PBBowers
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2012
      Hi,

      Not to sure how many Great Lakes area hams are on this list but for those that are, we have a group working on improving AIS coverage on the web.  Info on joining the list and the parent discussion group are noted below.  I also plan on looking into the new Android application.  Thanks for passing on the link.

      Peter Bowers
      VE3GWX
      Owen Sound,ON

      At 11:27 AM 27/08/2012, you wrote:
      A new Android application for all the AIS fans.

      Boat Beacon

      http://www.androiddoes.net/reviews/app-review/app-review-boat-beacon-real-time-ais-and-collision-avoidance/

      Dwaine
      VE3GIF
      Working towards better AIS coverage of Gt Lakes shipping on the web.
      A project of gt-lakes-shipsnports@yahoogroups.com ,
      "The open forum on Great Lakes' shipping."
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gt-lakes-shipsnports/
      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Tobbe
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2012

        I like marinetraffic and that’s for free…

        Two negative comments and “not to use for navigation…”, well, I pass this time.

        Thanks for the link though.

        Torbjorn, Sweden

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2012

          Yes, but Marine Traffic cannot send position info.

          Anyone know how to tell if a Boat is an AIS station or a Boat Beacon station?  Or know of a boat that is a boat beacon station that I can look up on that app?

          Pretty cool, but alas it is not true radio.   Sorry if this is off-topic, but I’m glad it was brought to our attention.

          Gary

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2012
            If you want to self report your position to marinetraffic there is an
            app for both the iPhone and android, see #2 on this page
            http://marinetraffic.com/ais/selfreporttext.aspx

            This is however only reporting your position to marinetraffic and not to
            the boats around you monitoring the AIS VHF frequencies.