AISMon input and SDR (Software Defined Radio)

  • million440
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 7, 2012
      I am seeking ideas and/or feedback. AISMon accepts sound card input only (as I understand). I have an aerial. I have a $20 USB DVBT AM/FM input dongle (which triples as a TV and AM/FM radio as well as AIS input)By putting this raw noise input through a Software Defined Radio I can discriminate the 162MHz AIS signal. Input this signal via some method (virtual or otherwise) to AISMon and then onto OpenCPN for chartplotter display.

      Antenna(RF signal spectrum)>USB DVBT dongle (RF signal spectrum)>SDR(162MHz signal)>AISMon (NMEA output)>OpenCPN

      The break in the chain is the link AISMon input (sound card only versus COM port required). Any ideas/feedback? If I can crack this last puzzle, a whole system for about $30. Right price!
      Thanks
    • Rivai YB3TD
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 7, 2012
        try serial port emulation driver from http://mixw.net/index.php?j=related

        my friend succed using this emulator to sent data from AISmon to Navmon, both installed on same computer.

        good luck.

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012
          --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "million440" <million440@...> wrote:

          > I am seeking ideas and/or feedback. AISMon accepts sound card input only (as I understand). I have an aerial. I have a $20 USB DVBT AM/FM input dongle (which triples as a TV and AM/FM radio as well as AIS input)By putting this raw noise input through a Software Defined Radio I can discriminate the 162MHz AIS signal. Input this signal via some method (virtual or otherwise) to AISMon and then onto OpenCPN for chartplotter display.
          >
          > Antenna(RF signal spectrum)>USB DVBT dongle (RF signal spectrum)>SDR(162MHz signal)>AISMon (NMEA output)>OpenCPN
          >
          > The break in the chain is the link AISMon input (sound card only versus COM port required). Any ideas/feedback? If I can crack this last puzzle, a whole system for about $30. Right price!
          > Thanks

          ¿Excelent idea. Can you tell us mark and model of the device? ¿How to get it?
          Thank you, very much.
        • lu5acj
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012
            --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "million440" <million440@...> wrote:

            > I am seeking ideas and/or feedback. AISMon accepts sound card input only (as I understand). I have an aerial. I have a $20 USB DVBT AM/FM input dongle (which triples as a TV and AM/FM radio as well as AIS input)By putting this raw noise input through a Software Defined Radio I can discriminate the 162MHz AIS signal. Input this signal via some method (virtual or otherwise) to AISMon and then onto OpenCPN for chartplotter display.
            >
            > Antenna(RF signal spectrum)>USB DVBT dongle (RF signal spectrum)>SDR(162MHz signal)>AISMon (NMEA output)>OpenCPN
            >
            > The break in the chain is the link AISMon input (sound card only versus COM port required). Any ideas/feedback? If I can crack this last puzzle, a whole system for about $30. Right price!
            > Thanks

            I would like to see a user manual to get an idea. Dou you have a link?

            Thanks
          • Cezary Pytka
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012
              Hi,

              If your doing this through windows you'll need to setup Stereomix available on some PC's or if not then through Virtual audio cable that will let you send audio from your SDR software (HDSDR, SDR#, SpectraVue ect.) to AISmon which can send to a COM port. The easiest way from hear is to use some software COM connector like from VSPE where you can set-up a virtual COM and connect AISmon with OpenCPN.

              2012/7/8 lu5acj <juan_ruggero@...>

              --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "million440" <million440@...> wrote:

              > I am seeking ideas and/or feedback. AISMon accepts sound card input only (as I understand). I have an aerial. I have a $20 USB DVBT AM/FM input dongle (which triples as a TV and AM/FM radio as well as AIS input)By putting this raw noise input through a Software Defined Radio I can discriminate the 162MHz AIS signal. Input this signal via some method (virtual or otherwise) to AISMon and then onto OpenCPN for chartplotter display.
              >
              > Antenna(RF signal spectrum)>USB DVBT dongle (RF signal spectrum)>SDR(162MHz signal)>AISMon (NMEA output)>OpenCPN
              >
              > The break in the chain is the link AISMon input (sound card only versus COM port required). Any ideas/feedback? If I can crack this last puzzle, a whole system for about $30. Right price!
              > Thanks

              ¿Excelent idea. Can you tell us mark and model of the device? ¿How to get it?
              Thank you, very much.

            • HAIQU_OZ
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012
                You'll need to use something like Virtual Audio Cable to link between the SDR output and AISMon input. Then Com0Com or similar from AISMon to OpenCPN. Good luck, I've been working on the same idea.

                It's a bit frobbity using all these separate bits, I'll eventually integrate it all.

                Rob

                --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "million440" <million440@...> wrote:

                > I am seeking ideas and/or feedback. AISMon accepts sound card input only (as I understand). I have an aerial. I have a $20 USB DVBT AM/FM input dongle (which triples as a TV and AM/FM radio as well as AIS input)By putting this raw noise input through a Software Defined Radio I can discriminate the 162MHz AIS signal. Input this signal via some method (virtual or otherwise) to AISMon and then onto OpenCPN for chartplotter display.
                >
                > Antenna(RF signal spectrum)>USB DVBT dongle (RF signal spectrum)>SDR(162MHz signal)>AISMon (NMEA output)>OpenCPN
                >
                > The break in the chain is the link AISMon input (sound card only versus COM port required). Any ideas/feedback? If I can crack this last puzzle, a whole system for about $30. Right price!
                > Thanks

              • HAIQU_OZ
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 8, 2012
                  The dongles are E4000 based TV sticks, commonly available for about $23.50 on eBay.

                  Rob

                  --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "lu5acj" <juan_ruggero@...> wrote:

                  > I would like to see a user manual to get an idea. Dou you have a link?
                  >
                  > Thanks

                • Juan Ruggero
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 10, 2012
                    Thank you Rob.
                    Regards Juan.

                    The dongles are E4000 based TV sticks, commonly available for about $23.50 on eBay.

                    Rob

                    --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "lu5acj" <juan_ruggero@...> wrote:

                    > I would like to see a user
                    manual to get an idea. Dou you have a link?

                    Thanks

                  • Mr Peter Allinson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 14, 2012
                      Please find attached a terrific link to Cruiser's Forum which has a lot of information and further links to more info (such as aerial construction, SDR's, RTL devices etc, etc)

                      Some simple free SDR to possibly consider

                      This concept of using a cheap reciever/tuner to create an AIS for display is not a new one. A project in progress with Gnu Radio link is below. It is from what I can see of Gnu radio a very detailed in depth program. You will need significant programming expertise with source code to work with it. Maybe it is worth pursuing Nick Foster for latest status? Further research required here.

                      The other option is chunky, "frobbity" and possibly very inefficient speed/memory wise,

                      > Aerial
                      > Reciever/Tuner (RTL device/dongle)(signal reception - input to computer)
                      > SoftwareDefinedRadio (signal tune to 162MHz)
                      > VirtualAudioCable
                      > AISMon (NMEA output)
                      > ComoCom
                      > SeaClear/OpenCPN AIS display

                      Any person actually achieved results of note?
                    • HAIQU_OZ
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 20, 2012
                        Sure. I wrote my own client software for the Flex SDR-1000 ham radio in 2003. Also integrated the FUNCube dongle into the code last year for RX coverage from 54MHz to 2GHz, and licenced the E4000 chip with a view to doing something like this as a marketable product. Don't ask for details, I did sign their NDA after all. Since the chips are no longer available - and even when the company was viable, very difficult to obtain - the TV stick is the only real option for most people.

                        GNU Radio is fine if you're satisfied with running Linux, although using Matt Ettus' hardware and writing in C++/Python would both be a PITA these days. Converting that code into something else would also likely be a task fraught with insurmountable problems due to library interdependencies within Linux and reliance on a build system that most people can't fathom. I went with a clean design in Delphi 7 which is efficient and free, and still works on most versions of Windows despite its age. Conversion to Lazarus is not possible due to fundamental design differences, but I may finish the Kylix version one day if the mood takes me.

                        Integrating AIS into this system for development shouldn't be much effort, at least no more than writing the original FFT/IFFT code was. :-)

                        What will be most useful about it eventually will be removal of the "glue" components like Com0Com and Virtual Cable for a simpler setup. It will then just be a matter of plugging in a TV stick and pointing the inbuilt virtual serial/NEMA port at OpenCPN. I'll strip out all the unnecessary code, including the user interface which won't be required in this application. Of course this will still only be a single channel decoder, and dual channel AIS radios are ca. $200 these days.

                        Rob (formerly VK3XVK)
                        SV Keppilina, Sydney