Re: [aismon] invalid MMSI numbers showing up???

  • Jay Spalding
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
      SW pass light in LA has the only deployed AIS/ATON unit broadcasting type 21.  Others such as Kurt's and USACE in western rivers are transmitting binaries but not ATON messages. I believe the MMSIs below are for the Northup Grumman USCG-NAIS base stations as opposed to VTS base stations.

      Jay Spalding

       On 2/28/2012 8:04 PM, Kurt Schwehr wrote:

      The only ATON units in the US should in on Cape Cod, MA (mine), Tampa FL and Snake River, OR.  I don't believe the USCG has authorized any other units.

      On Feb 28, 2012, at 3:36 PM, Michael Mraz wrote:

      They're the Coast Guard base stations for the AIS network.

      Some aids to navigation have MMSIs also, but I don't see any in the
      Seattle area.

      >>I have been seeing strange "boats" on the VA and MD coast, that have an
      >>MMSI of 3669749, 3669745, 3669751, 3669752. These do not appear to be
      >>valid MMSI numbers according to the FCC database and the locations of
      >>these "boats" are actually on land. They show up as anchored/moored and
      >>never change to any other status. Are these some sort of monitoring
      >>towers??? Anyone have any insight into what these might be?

      =

    • John Dunnivan
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2012
        Jay thank you for passing this info along, I googled USCG-NAIS and got a
        lot of really good information!