100% errors

  • anxo.group
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2011
      Hello to the group,

      I live near the seaside and finally I got into installing and playing a bit with the AISMon.

      My problem is that I am getting 100% errors, no (0%) valid signals. This happens with 200-300 signals received.

      My installation is a Yaesu 2800M or a Yaesu FT857M. And nothing with either of them. Not even with the FT857M under digital modes...
      I have an APRS station and works 100%, so I am worried why this will not work. Am I missing something?

      I do receive signals and my situation is quite good. I can talk with the boats around me comfortably for a 50-60 mile radius, being my longest conversation up to 450miles (I live in the North of Spain and the boat was already arriving at the French Bretagne).

      Any ideas on how to be able to improve the reception will be hihgly welcome.

      Thanks and good seas!
      Angel
    • Giuseppe Menga
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 12, 2011
        Angel,
        I’m surprised. I’m using an IC-706MKIIG from the 9600 baud data output and I never had problems of decoding (around 80%), sometime from very far ships.
        I assume that you, also, are using the data output at 9600 baud,  so the responsibility will be in the audio signal, especially the interface between the radio and the micro input of the computer. Sometime is useful to use a trasformer or other decoupling media.
        Last, check the audio level on the facility of the computer, you can verify this level from the bars directly on AISMON.
        Let me know
        Giuseppe
        IZ1GCL/MM

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 13, 2011
          Angel:

          If you're still having this problem, make sure your radio setup item 29 is set to 9600. APRS generally uses 1200 so if you had it setup for APRS you probably need to change this setting. Also make sure you're using pin 4 of the data socket.

          Chuck

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 15, 2011
            Chuck,

            Thanks for the tip on the speed. It has been changed, but nothing at all. Same, same.

            As for the data ocket, I will give it a look next week and see if it is ht correct one. Anyway, I am using the CAT cables to remote control the Yaesu FT857 and I asume it is correct, but I will check.

            I tried APRS again and works, HF Fax reception and works fine too...

            Thanks for the guide. I will get into it next week (got more time) and come back with the data or the frustration.

            Cheers
            Angel

          • cscott@gaslightmedia.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 15, 2011
              Angel:

              Just to make sure, you do know you can't use the same cable for APRS (1200 pin) and AIS (9600 pin) also might have to try inverting the signal. Should work though.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 25, 2011
                Hey Chuck,

                Back again and fighting it.
                No luck through the CAT cables, so I have tried to take a direct approach. Yaesu Ext speaker output to sound card direct.
                Result: Well, it does receive signals, but same 100% errors.
                Tried in Packet mode in 1200bps and in Digital mode, as well as normal FM. Either way, reception of packets, but 0% valid.
                Tried also using the filters in case it would improve, but no luck either.

                I will keep trying...strange, very strange.

                So, let me explai what I hav now, maybe I have forgotten a step / piece of soft or hardware in between...lets go to basics:
                Radio YAESU 857 connected to Antenna, receiving in Channel 87 or 88, teh variations are:

                1) ext. speaker output from radio direct to soundcard - 0% Valid
                2) Cat from radio to computer at 1200bps - 0% valid

                Range of AIS Signals received in 12 hours - 1200 (approx)

                Well, any help/suggestion welcome.

                Cheers

                --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, cscott@... wrote:

                > Angel:
                >
                > Just to make sure, you do know you can't use the same cable for APRS (1200 pin) and AIS (9600 pin) also might have to try inverting the signal. Should work though.
                >

                > Chuck

              • del_swt
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 25, 2011
                  No, not at all strange - very unlikely either of those set-ups will work. AIS signals arre very different to the other formats you mention - in particular they are very sensitive to any filtering applied to the signal. The 9600 output from the radio should work, the 1200 or speaker outputs definately WON'T. Otherwise you'll need to break into the radio and tap off the discriminator output to provide a good clean signal for the soundcard.

                  Also, some soundcards are better than others - the one in my old HP laptop was rubbish, but the one in the new(er) one is absolutely fine.

                  Also, don't scan the channels - leave it fixed on one.

                  --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "anxo.group" <anxo.group@...> wrote:

                  > Hey Chuck,
                  >
                  > Back again and fighting it.
                  > No luck through the CAT cables, so I have tried to take a direct approach. Yaesu Ext speaker output to sound card direct.
                  > Result: Well, it does receive signals, but same 100% errors.
                  > Tried in Packet mode in 1200bps and in Digital mode, as well as normal FM. Either way, reception of packets, but 0% valid.
                  > Tried also using the filters in case it would improve, but no luck either.
                  >
                  > I will keep trying...strange, very strange.
                  >
                  > So, let me explai what I hav now, maybe I have forgotten a step / piece of soft or hardware in between...lets go to basics:
                  > Radio YAESU 857 connected to Antenna, receiving in Channel 87 or 88, teh variations are:
                  >
                  > 1) ext. speaker output from radio direct to soundcard - 0% Valid
                  > 2) Cat from radio to computer at 1200bps - 0% valid
                  >
                  > Range of AIS Signals received in 12 hours - 1200 (approx)
                  >
                  > Well, any help/suggestion welcome.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                • CT1EKD
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 25, 2011

                    Yes, with my Icom 706 I only get decodes when conected to the 9600 output audio.

                    Pedro – CT1EKD

                    No, not at all strange - very unlikely either of those set-ups will work. AIS signals arre very different to the other formats you mention - in particular they are very sensitive to any filtering applied to the signal. The 9600 output from the radio should work, the 1200 or speaker outputs definately WON'T. Otherwise you'll need to break into the radio and tap off the discriminator output to provide a good clean signal for the soundcard.

                    Also, some soundcards are better than others - the one in my old HP laptop was rubbish, but the one in the new(er) one is absolutely fine.

                    Also, don't scan the channels - leave it fixed on one.

                    --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "anxo.group" <anxo.group@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Chuck,
                    >
                    > Back again and fighting it.
                    > No luck through the CAT cables, so I have tried to take a direct approach. Yaesu Ext speaker output to sound card direct.
                    > Result: Well, it does receive signals, but same 100% errors.
                    > Tried in Packet mode in 1200bps and in Digital mode, as well as normal FM. Either way, reception of packets, but 0% valid.
                    > Tried also using the filters in case it would improve, but no luck either.
                    >
                    > I will keep trying...strange, very strange.
                    >
                    > So, let me explai what I hav now, maybe I have forgotten a step / piece of soft or hardware in between...lets go to basics:
                    > Radio YAESU 857 connected to Antenna, receiving in Channel 87 or 88, teh variations are:
                    >
                    > 1) ext. speaker output from radio direct to soundcard - 0% Valid
                    > 2) Cat from radio to computer at 1200bps - 0% valid
                    >
                    > Range of AIS Signals received in 12 hours - 1200 (approx)
                    >
                    > Well, any help/suggestion welcome.
                    >
                    > Cheers

                  • Dash Nine
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 25, 2011
                      Try using a Griffin iMic instead of you sound card.
                      I use one with my Yeasu 9800 and it works great.
                      And I'm just monitoring tugs on the river.
                      :)

                      Sent from my PC @ Home!
                      :)

                      Yes, with my Icom 706 I only get decodes when conected to the 9600 output audio.

                      Pedro – CT1EKD

                      No, not at all strange - very unlikely either of those set-ups will work. AIS signals arre very different to the other formats you mention - in particular they are very sensitive to any filtering applied to the signal. The 9600 output from the radio should work, the 1200 or speaker outputs definately WON'T. Otherwise you'll need to break into the radio and tap off the discriminator output to provide a good clean signal for the soundcard.

                      Also, some soundcards are better than others - the one in my old HP laptop was rubbish, but the one in the new(er) one is absolutely fine.

                      Also, don't scan the channels - leave it fixed on one.

                      --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "anxo.group" <anxo.group@...> wrote:

                      > Hey Chuck,
                      >
                      > Back again and fighting it.
                      > No luck through the CAT cables, so I have tried to take a direct approach. Yaesu Ext speaker output to sound card direct.
                      > Result: Well, it does receive signals, but same 100% errors.
                      > Tried in Packet mode in 1200bps and in Digital mode, as well as normal FM. Either way, reception of packets, but 0% valid.
                      > Tried also using the filters in case it would improve, but no luck either.
                      >
                      > I will keep trying...strange, very strange.
                      >
                      > So, let me explai what I hav now, maybe I have forgotten a step / piece of soft or hardware in between...lets go to basics:
                      > Radio YAESU 857 connected to Antenna, receiving in Channel 87 or 88, teh variations are:
                      >
                      > 1) ext. speaker output from radio direct to soundcard - 0% Valid
                      > 2) Cat from radio to computer at 1200bps - 0% valid
                      >
                      > Range of AIS Signals received in 12 hours - 1200 (approx)
                      >
                      > Well, any help/suggestion welcome.
                      >
                      > Cheers

                    • anxo.group
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 26, 2011
                        Hi all,

                        Thanks for the tips of advice!

                        I am just playing around and around trying to make it happen.

                        So this is how things are going:

                        1. For the moment I have managed to convince AISMon that the signal he should listen to comes from the "data output" from the radio...still 0% valids.
                        The only thing that as much as I try to make the signal of the volume to increase, I only get 1-3 "blue blocks" from the level bars.

                        2. I am playing around with the menu in my radio (Yaesu FT857) and discovered that I can change many parameters, such as output levels for Packet, TNCs...and just trying to dial into the correct one. For the moment, following your advice, it is 9600bps.

                        3. I have updated the audio card drivers...

                        4. Follow your messages and check where the problem can be.

                        5. Starting to consider options B such as re-doing the CAT Connexions so as to make it work. Maybe this week.

                        6. Tried Ship plotter...same result. Nothing.

                        Well, thanks guys, will keep trying.

                        Just a simple question, AIS Mon 2.2.0 is just install, run, select audio device (with the rest of hardware installed) and press "start monitorin", right?. I am not missing any step?.
                        Just considering all the possibilities. :-)

                        Cheers!

                      • cscott@gaslightmedia.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 26, 2011
                          If you're not using the 9600 connection on the data connector it won't work. Just because it might work with 1200 baud packet or something else is no indication that you're on the right pin for 9600. Are you sure you're using the right pin?

                          If you're not using the 9600 setting on the radio it won't work. Just because it might work with 1200 baud packet or something else is no indication that you're using the right settings. Are you sure the radio is set to 9600.

                          Chuck

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 26, 2011

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 27, 2011
                              Angel:

                              No matter what you do, you won't get AIS reception using the speaker output, nor the 1200 digital mode, nor the 1200 pin on the data socket, nor a CAT cable connected to the CAT jack, nor anything other than the PKT mode at 9600. So, please confirm the following...

                              [  ] Yes, I am using the Data jack on the back of the radio. This is NOT the CAT connector.

                              [  ] Yes, I am using the 9600 bps Data Out connection on the Data jack.

                              [  ] Yes, I am using the 9600 bps PKT (packet) mode to receive.

                              [  ] Yes, I do have menu 073 [PKT RATE] set to 9600. (This is NOT CAT rate.)

                              [  ] Yes, I have the radio set to a frequency of either 161.975 (87B) or 162.025 (88B) MHz and the radio is not scanning.

                              If you can't check off ALL of the above, it won't work and you are guaranteed to get 0% valid.

                              Chuck