Using icom 706 for ais reception

  • peggyetdavid
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2010
      Giuseppe,

      I also have a IC706MK2G radio and would like to use it for AIS reception with AISMon.
      I've read that AIS operates on 161.975 MHz and 162.025 MHz.
      - Is that the exact frequency at wich I should tune my radio or is there an offset to use ?
      - Which mode should I use (USB,LSB,FM,AM,RTTY,...)?

      Thank You
      David

      --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "Giuseppe Menga" <menga@...> wrote:

      > Cliff,
      > as Tony said, to add a pick of information, once you have installed ComEmulDrv3, in the control panel-hardware configuration you get the multiport icon. Clicking on it you can configurate pairs of channels assing for each one input and output com port numbers.
      > Pay attention to not use already occupied com port numbers (some time, to have the system working, I had to change the selected numbers without any apparent reason).
      > This done, configurate AISMON to the first com Number and SeaClear to the second of one of on of defined channels.
      > To have a confirmation you will note that when you open SeaClear it will not complain anymore that the port number doesn't exist.
      > To test everything I use the audio file of the Los Angeles harbor contained in the file section of the AISMON group.
      > I'm using the data port 9600 baud of the IC706 exactly as you
      > Giuseppe
      > IZ1GCL

    • Giuseppe Menga
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 11, 2010
        Dear David,
        you should set your radio to FM and dial exactly one of the two frequencies.
        Remember that the useful data should be taken from the 9600 baud data channel on the back of the TRX  to feed the micro input of the computer.
        Giuseppe

        Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 5:08 AM
        Subject: [aismon] Using icom 706 for ais reception

        href="mailto:aismon%40yahoogroups.com">aismon@yahoogroups.com

        Subject: Re: [aismon] Using AISmon with SeaClear

        > Cliff
        >
        > As I said in my post #12 on the forum
        AISMON gets its input from your sound card/adaptor and then the output of AISMON needs to be connected, internally as it were, to the AIS input in my case on Opencpn. I imagine Seaclear 2 must have a similar discrete input required for AIS data. Having installed the virtual port driver this provides pairs of ports and, in my case I used Com 7 and 8 and assigned those to AISMON output and Opencpn AIS input.

        > Hope this explains it a bit better.
        >
        > Tony

        Giuseppe);

        > This is very helpful. Thanks.
        >
        > I'm
        just trying to understand the role of the virtual com ports (i.e. port splitter).

        > Currently I use SeaClear II with a GPS receiver
        connected via USB. The assigned Com Port is Com 5.
        > The audio from the
        radio is from the data jack on the rear of the Icom IC7000, I believe it is direct from the discriminator o/p. On the HF bands the audio is unprocessed and used for all data modes, i.e. PSK31, Pactor etc...The audio is isolated using a Rigblaster P&P data interface between the radio and the computer. The audio is fed into the mic i/p of the laptop computer.

        > So: Does
        SeaClear expect to receive GPS data via one Com port and AIS via another Com port ???? Or, can SeaClear only use one Com Port which must be shared between the GPS and AIS inputs?? If this is the case then it would imply that the output from AISmon is fed into the input of SeaClear on the same shared Com port as the GPS data.

        > Does the port splitter take two inputs (say GPS from
        one serial port and AIS from the output of AISmon) and provide one output into the input of SeaClear,.. OR, does it take one input and split it to two outputs, i.e making one serial port look like two??? OR, do I have it all wrong.....

        > Since there are no directions with the ComEmulDrv3
        software I could use some help in setting this up. I do believe it should work but still need some help and explanation.

        > Sorry to trouble you
        guys, but thanks.

        href="http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/interfacing-ais-45040.html">http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/interfacing-ais-45040.html

        I should say that I only use one channel to receive the data but that works OK.
        > The program for providing pairs of virtual com ports to handle the
        inputs is at

        href="http://www.mixw.net/files/ComEmulDrv3.zip">http://www.mixw.net/files/ComEmulDrv3.zip

        Good luck
        > Tony