Re: Difference between Class B and Class B CS

  • bdebbasch
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27, 2009
      Here is my understanding:

      There is no such thing as Class B AND Class B CS. All Class B are supposed to implement Carrier Sense.

      Message 24 has a unique format so you need to decode it properly

      See: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/enav/ais/AIS_Messages_B.htm

      Good luck.
    • del
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2009
        Well, that all depends....

        AT THE MOMENT - and I strees that - all Class B's are CSTDMA.

        However, as I stated in an earlier post, there is a proposal in front of
        the IEC standards comittee for a Class B using SOTDMA. Essentially it's
        a cut-down Class A, without all the whizzy interfaces etc. and so
        considerably cheaper to build. Could become a reality in about a year
        (or never..... judging by how fast these things go....).