Field reports

  • Dave Houy
    Message 1 of 8 , May 26 6:49 PM
      New members:

      Assuming you've downloaded and tried the app, might there be any
      feedback - good, bad, or otherwise?

      Dave
    • freebirdjaap
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 14, 2006
        Great piece of work! Outstanding!
        Is there some more info in the Settings? It works with the audio file,
        but when I am going to try it for real (with scanner on sea) a bit of
        guidance on the audio settings would be appreciated.
        Thanks,
        Jaap
      • Dave Houy
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 15, 2006
          Jaap,

          > Great piece of work! Outstanding!

          Thanks much for your kind complements! Hope you find AISMon useful.

          > Is there some more info in the Settings? It works with the audio file,
          > but when I am going to try it for real (with scanner on sea) a bit of
          > guidance on the audio settings would be appreciated.

          For best results, adjust audio input to midrange on the level meter by
          using Windows "Record Control" volume control (SndVol32 /R).

          Field reports are most welcome, so do not hesitate to post yours.

          Dave
        • freebirdjaap
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 16, 2006
            --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Houy" <davehouy@...> wrote:

            > For best results, adjust audio input to midrange on the level meter by
            > using Windows "Record Control" volume control (SndVol32 /R).

            Dave,

            I am interested in the use of the Sampling Rate, and Offset settings.
            They seem to have no effect.

            Thanks,
            Jaap
          • Dave Houy
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17, 2006
              Jaap,

              > I am interested in the use of the Sampling Rate,
              > and Offset settings. They seem to have no effect.

              The 48000 sampling rate may supply marginally-better demodulator
              performance, but requires a bit more CPU. On underpowered systems,
              selection of 44100 may reduce overflows.

              The Offset option eliminates any DC-offset present in the incoming
              audio waveform, and is normally not required.

              Dave
            • freebirdjaap
              Message 6 of 8 , May 8 7:23 AM
                Here is a screenshot taken during last weekend when I was sailing to
                Den Helder harbour in the north of The Netherlands from the North Sea.
                The setup on board is still very much experimental: I used a simple
                old handscanner with a not-tuned, very short antenna (rubber duck),
                laying just on the chart table.
                It proves the power of AIS_mon to correctly decode the messages from
                the ship, 1.5 nautical miles behind me.

                http://i3.tinypic.com/xgayro.jpg

                Thanks Dave!
              • joaquin180556
                Message 7 of 8 , May 25 12:20 PM
                  Dave, this is my first contact with AisMon; I think it is a nice and useful tool; much better for people who likes electronic, navigation ,..etc and don't have much money; It is a pleasure, however I need more information to set up. I need a Help file with guidance on the audio settings:

                  - "For best results, adjust audio input to midrange on the level meter by using Windows "Record Control" volume control (SndVol32 /R)"

                  I don't understand. Where is the Windows "Record Control" volume control (SndVol32 /R)???

                  Thanks a lot. I hope, and want see the ships from my old VHF SKANTI 3000 on my Open CPN trough Ais Mon. Thank you again.
                  Joaquin.
                • notrobbage
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 26 6:41 PM
                    > - "For best results, adjust audio input to midrange on the level meter by using Windows "Record Control" volume control (SndVol32 /R)"
                    >
                    > I don't understand. Where is the Windows "Record Control" volume control (SndVol32 /R)???

                    Double-click the speaker icon in your system tray and the volume panel should open. Select the options menu and click "Properties."
                    See "Adjust volume for" and select "Recording." If you can't select it because it's disabled then you need to select a different mixer device (Some sound cards have the input and output devices listed separately)

                    Also you can open the Volume panel to the recording page by typing "SndVol32 /R" in a DOS window (without quotes).