Help needed with Seaclear and AIS

  • Rik Hall
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
      Greetings

      We are currently on our small sailboat for two weeks on the coast of
      Maine.

      I have SeaClear, an AIS receiver (SR151 from Milltech Marine) and a PC
      running Windows XP. I have SeaClear working well for navigation but
      have yet to see an AIS target ship on my screen.

      I have the serial splitter from Milltech Marine running into a USB
      port on my laptop.

      I am not a ludite - but need some help:

      I am assuming I will see the two signals on separate Ports (4 and 3)

      If anyone is using this combination and wants to try and help - we
      would be grateful.

      Answer here or email me direct

      hall at unb.ca (substitute the "at" for an "@")

      Rik and Linda
      Gypsy Rover II
    • Brian C. Lane

        Rik Hall wrote:
        > Greetings
        >
        > We are currently on our small sailboat for two weeks on the coast of
        > Maine.
        >
        > I have SeaClear, an AIS receiver (SR151 from Milltech Marine) and a PC
        > running Windows XP. I have SeaClear working well for navigation but
        > have yet to see an AIS target ship on my screen.
        >
        > I have the serial splitter from Milltech Marine running into a USB
        > port on my laptop.
        >
        > I am not a ludite - but need some help:
        >
        > I am assuming I will see the two signals on separate Ports (4 and 3)
        >
        > If anyone is using this combination and wants to try and help - we
        > would be grateful.
        >
        > Answer here or email me direct
        >
        > hall at unb.ca (substitute the "at" for an "@")
        >
        > Rik and Linda
        > Gypsy Rover II

        The first step would be to monitor the serial output of the receiver and
        see if you are getting any AIS targets. If you are you will see serial
        data that looks like this:

        !AIVDM,1,1,,B,19NS7Sp02wo?HETKA2K6mUM20<L=,0*27

        Use Hyperterm or TerraTerm Pro to monitor the serial port, using
        38400bps 8N1 settings with no flow control.

        Good Luck,

        Brian

        - --
        - ---[Office 73.0F]--[Fridge 37.7F]---[Server 86.2F]--[Coaster 72.7F]---
        Linux Software Developer http://www.brianlane.com
        Embedded Developer http://www.linuxmicros.com

      • Rik Hall
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
          Thanks to Brian and Adam I have the targets showing up. Now all I
          need to be able to do is figure out how to upload routes to my GPS.

          Thanks a bunch - (from a mooring in North East Harbour, Maine (USA) -
          picking up somebody's wifi)

          Rik