      To: aismon@yahoogroups.com
      From: polar_bear5@...
      Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 14:34:31 -0700
      Subject: [aismon] Locating the discriminator in Hercules marine radio

      Since the topic of discriminators has come up again, it now has me wondering about my own marine VHF radio to work with AIS and my computer.

      I have a Hercules Model 5525 VHF/FM radio by Ray Jefferson that is still in perfect working order. While I know it its a pretty old model, I was wondering if there was a slight chance someone could help me locate the signal discriminator in it and if it is going to need a pass filter or not. It still tunes into the AIS frequencies/channels fine, and I can hear the distinct sounds on the speaker when tuned in.

      I have it hooked up to a home made 'J'-pole that I made myself and I can get Vancouver harbor traffic perfectly fine. I can even pick up Victoria traffic, but the signal is just slightly degraded.

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic