949Re: RTL SDR# and AISmon

  • georgeiwa
    Jul 8, 2013
      please let us know how it works.

      i am using aismon in a windows virtual box in ubuntu and passing the data by udp out to ubunto opencpn. it works really well.

      i have not been able to get software defined radio working and am for now happy with the virtual box approach.

      i would probably try sdy ais if it was easier to set up in ubuntu.

      i currently get a 30%error rate but where i am anchored has very little activity so it can take up to 12 minutes for a anchored ship to refresh.

      i am hoping for a better error rate once i am out amongst more ships.

      george

      --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "hendrik.schadagies" <hendrik.schadagies@...> wrote:

      > I finally made it!
      >
      > After frequency calibration ( I used a local VHF radio station with known frequency), RTLsdr# tuned to the exact frequency, gain manually set to have AISmon on 50-75% level I got syncs, only a few errors, passed the signals to OpenCPN via VSPE and had the ships informations displayed with all data (Name, Messurements, corse, speed,...) displayed on the map!
      > My antenna is a DIY vertical dipole, adjusted to 162 MHz, for this test just fixed to my car, I went near to the river Rhine and got the ships!
      > In 3 weeks I will got to a charter cruise on the baltic where the antenna will be hoisted up the mast minimum 5 m, so I hope I willdetect all ships within a reasonable range.
      >
      > Hendrik
      >
      > --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "bluegoose_46" <davidgreenway@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In aismon@yahoogroups.com, "hendrik.schadagies" <hendrik.schadagies@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > > I´m new here, I set up a combination of RTLSDR linked with AISmon by Virtual Audio Cable.
      > > > I get AIS-Signals in SDR and syncs in AISmon but allways errors, no decoded infos, any ideas?
      > > >
      > > > Hendrik
      > > >

      > > Hi,
      > > I found it to be very difficult to set the correct volume to get messages consistently using either SDRConsole or SDR# , this is in part due to low traffic volumes at my location. I found about 70-75% seemed to get some data.
      > >
      > > In the end I gave up and use GNURADIO in Linux with the gr-ais script, this is very reliable but not too easy to get running as the process is not documented very well. This does not use audio at all, I then send the data to OpenCPN on a TCP socket.
      > > Bluegoose

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic