Re: [aima-talk] Compiler for Source in Text

  • Will Deakin
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
      >Serguei Mokhov ha scritto:
      > Not exactly LISP, but a subset.
      Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you mean
      by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on the
      page :) that you are talking about common lisp --
      which I belive the examples to be implemented in --
      then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There are
      elements in the scheme standare that are not -- or can
      not -- be implemented in common lisp.

      If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme can
      trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy and
      others, then yes, scheme is a lisp. However, rather
      like the dolphin and the blue whale, they are somewhat
      different in form and function. Hope this helps.

      Cetaceanly yours,

      :)w

      Mio Yahoo!: personalizza Yahoo! come piace a te
      http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/?http://it.my.yahoo.com/
    • Serguei Mokhov
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
        > Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you mean
        > by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on the
        > page :) that you are talking about common lisp --

        I wasn't talking about any particular flavour of lisp.

        > which I belive the examples to be implemented in --
        > then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There are

        Okay, not a *proper* subset :)

        > If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme can
        > trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy and

        Yes.

        -s
      • Owain Roberts
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
          My understanding is that this goup if for discussions
          directly pertaining to 'Artificial Intelligence: A
          modern Approach' by Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig.

          Might this dicussion be better suited to
          comp.land.lisp?

          > > Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you
          > mean
          > > by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on
          > the
          > > page :) that you are talking about common lisp --
          >
          > I wasn't talking about any particular flavour of
          > lisp.
          >
          > > which I belive the examples to be implemented in
          > --
          > > then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There
          > are
          >
          > Okay, not a *proper* subset :)
          >
          > > If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme
          > can
          > > trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy
          > and
          >
          > Yes.
          >
          > -s

          =====
          Quamvis tam longo possis satur esse libello,
          lector, adhuc a me disitcha pauca petis.
          sed Lupus usuram puerique diaria poscunt.
          Lector, solve. Taces dissimulasque? Vale.

          --Marcus Valerius Martialis, liber XI, CVIII

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Will Deakin
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 21, 2002
            --- Owain Roberts <owain_roberts@...> ha
            scritto:
            > My understanding is that this goup if for
            > discussions directly pertaining to 'Artificial
            > Intelligence: A modern Approach' by Stuart Russell
            and
            > Peter Norvig.
            Yes. The answer I gave was in response to a thread as
            to whether the aima code would run under scheme. I was
            trying to explain why this was not so and that
            there were a number of practical steps that could be
            carried out to run the examples.

            For completeness, I should have added that IIRC the
            examples are also implemented in a number of other
            languages. This would suggest a third approach of not
            using lisp but java, say. However, I don't know enough
            about this to be of any futher assistance.

            Why is this not "on topic?" Unless, of course, the
            first question was not.

            > Might this dicussion be better suited to
            > comp.land.lisp?
            Further dicussion (sic) would. Or any one of a number
            of other places.

            Best Regards,

            Will