The Oracle(TM) NetBeans Java IDE for the AIMA code

  • Antti Ylikoski
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 29, 2012
      In the context of the AIMA Java code at the AIMA site, there are there
      the instructions how to import the Java code into the Eclipse IDE.

      I have found that this indeed greatly helps in delving into the code.

      There exists there another very well-known Java Integrated Development
      Environment, namely the NetBeans, which can be downloaded from the
      site

      http://www.netbeans.org

      The Eclipse is being supported by the Eclipse foundation, whereas the
      NetBeans are being developed and supported by Oracle(TM) who are the
      current custodians of the Java technology. I'm under the impression
      that many Java developers prefer the NetBeans -- and after looking at
      them both, I must say that I personally and subjectively like the
      NetBeans better.

      I feel that it would be beneficial to the AIMA community to get the
      instructions how to utilize the NetBeans together with the AIMA Java
      code into the AIMA site instructions.

      regards, Antti J Ylikoski
      Helsinki, Finland, the E.U.
      http://www.hut.fi/~ajy/
    • naraic_oreilly
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 29, 2012
        Hi Antti,

        I'm afraid I'm not overly familiar with the Netbeans IDE, however, the following article may help:

        http://netbeans.org/kb/docs/java/project-setup.html#free-form

        which tells you how to import a projects using ant build.xml files, which are included in the download .zip file. You only need to import (in this order) the 3 projects:

        aima-core
        aima-gui
        aimax-osm

        to work with them within the Netbeans IDE (its been about a year since I tried this, so may not work with latest release). I've no plans currently to add detailed instructions for Netbeans but have added an Issue:

        http://code.google.com/p/aima-java/issues/detail?id=71

        to track your request, should the opportunity arise down the road to do so. I hope the above helps.

        Best

        Ciaran

        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, Antti Ylikoski <antti.ylikoski@...> wrote:

        > In the context of the AIMA Java code at the AIMA site, there are there
        > the instructions how to import the Java code into the Eclipse IDE.
        >
        > I have found that this indeed greatly helps in delving into the code.
        >
        > There exists there another very well-known Java Integrated Development
        > Environment, namely the NetBeans, which can be downloaded from the
        > site
        >
        > http://www.netbeans.org
        >
        > The Eclipse is being supported by the Eclipse foundation, whereas the
        > NetBeans are being developed and supported by Oracle(TM) who are the
        > current custodians of the Java technology. I'm under the impression
        > that many Java developers prefer the NetBeans -- and after looking at
        > them both, I must say that I personally and subjectively like the
        > NetBeans better.
        >
        > I feel that it would be beneficial to the AIMA community to get the
        > instructions how to utilize the NetBeans together with the AIMA Java
        > code into the AIMA site instructions.
        >
        > regards, Antti J Ylikoski
        > Helsinki, Finland, the E.U.
        > http://www.hut.fi/~ajy/

      • Ciaran O'Reilly
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 30, 2012
          Hi Antti (trying this reply a second time),

          I'm overly familiar with the Netbeans IDE, however, the following article may help:

          which tells you how to import a projects using ant build.xml files, which are included in the download .zip file. You only need to import (in this order) the 3 projects:

          aima-core
          aima-gui
          aimax-osm

          Its been a little over a year since I tried this so not sure will work with the latest release. I'm currently not planning to add explicit support for Netbeans in the instructions/releases but have entered an issue as regards your request should the opportunity arise:

          http://code.google.com/p/aima-java/issues/detail?id=71

          I hope this helps,

          Best

          Ciaran