Re: [aima-talk] Compiler for Source in Text

  • Serguei Mokhov
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
      From: <joachim@...>
      Sent: September 20, 2002 3:37 AM

      > wein3150 writes:
      > > Would using MIT Scheme 7.5 for W98 compile the source code from the
      > > text by changing the file extensions from .lisp to .scm?
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      >
      > scheme is not lisp, so I don't think so...

      Not exactly LISP, but a subset.

      > But why don't you just try
      > it and see for yourself???

      I agree here :)

      -s
    • wein3150
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
        > > > Would using MIT Scheme 7.5 for W98 compile the source code
        from the
        > > > text by changing the file extensions from .lisp to .scm?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > scheme is not lisp, so I don't think so...
        >
        > Not exactly LISP, but a subset.
        >
        > > But why don't you just try
        > > it and see for yourself???
        >
        > I agree here :)
        >
        > -s

        Okay, so I put the lisp converted files into the same directory as
        the compiler. Now, command-wise running this stuff,
        what,

        (load "filename.scm")?
      • Will Deakin
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
          >Serguei Mokhov ha scritto:
          > Not exactly LISP, but a subset.
          Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you mean
          by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on the
          page :) that you are talking about common lisp --
          which I belive the examples to be implemented in --
          then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There are
          elements in the scheme standare that are not -- or can
          not -- be implemented in common lisp.

          If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme can
          trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy and
          others, then yes, scheme is a lisp. However, rather
          like the dolphin and the blue whale, they are somewhat
          different in form and function. Hope this helps.

          Cetaceanly yours,

          :)w

          Mio Yahoo!: personalizza Yahoo! come piace a te
          http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/?http://it.my.yahoo.com/
        • Serguei Mokhov
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
            > Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you mean
            > by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on the
            > page :) that you are talking about common lisp --

            I wasn't talking about any particular flavour of lisp.

            > which I belive the examples to be implemented in --
            > then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There are

            Okay, not a *proper* subset :)

            > If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme can
            > trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy and

            Yes.

            -s
          • Owain Roberts
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
              My understanding is that this goup if for discussions
              directly pertaining to 'Artificial Intelligence: A
              modern Approach' by Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig.

              Might this dicussion be better suited to
              comp.land.lisp?

              > > Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you
              > mean
              > > by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on
              > the
              > > page :) that you are talking about common lisp --
              >
              > I wasn't talking about any particular flavour of
              > lisp.
              >
              > > which I belive the examples to be implemented in
              > --
              > > then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There
              > are
              >
              > Okay, not a *proper* subset :)
              >
              > > If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme
              > can
              > > trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy
              > and
              >
              > Yes.
              >
              > -s

              =====
              Quamvis tam longo possis satur esse libello,
              lector, adhuc a me disitcha pauca petis.
              sed Lupus usuram puerique diaria poscunt.
              Lector, solve. Taces dissimulasque? Vale.

              --Marcus Valerius Martialis, liber XI, CVIII

              http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • Will Deakin
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 21, 2002
                --- Owain Roberts <owain_roberts@...> ha
                scritto:
                > My understanding is that this goup if for
                > discussions directly pertaining to 'Artificial
                > Intelligence: A modern Approach' by Stuart Russell
                and
                > Peter Norvig.
                Yes. The answer I gave was in response to a thread as
                to whether the aima code would run under scheme. I was
                trying to explain why this was not so and that
                there were a number of practical steps that could be
                carried out to run the examples.

                For completeness, I should have added that IIRC the
                examples are also implemented in a number of other
                languages. This would suggest a third approach of not
                using lisp but java, say. However, I don't know enough
                about this to be of any futher assistance.

                Why is this not "on topic?" Unless, of course, the
                first question was not.

                > Might this dicussion be better suited to
                > comp.land.lisp?
                Further dicussion (sic) would. Or any one of a number
                of other places.

                Best Regards,

                Will