[aima-talk] Compiler for Source in Text

  • joachim@arti.vub.ac.be
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
      wein3150 writes:
      > Would using MIT Scheme 7.5 for W98 compile the source code from the
      > text by changing the file extensions from .lisp to .scm?
      >
      > Thanks.

      scheme is not lisp, so I don't think so... But why don't you just try
      it and see for yourself???

      Joachim.
    • Serguei Mokhov
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
        > > Would using MIT Scheme 7.5 for W98 compile the source code from the
        > > text by changing the file extensions from .lisp to .scm?
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        >
        > scheme is not lisp, so I don't think so...

        Not exactly LISP, but a subset.

        > But why don't you just try
        > it and see for yourself???

        I agree here :)

        -s
      • wein3150
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
          > > > Would using MIT Scheme 7.5 for W98 compile the source code
          from the
          > > > text by changing the file extensions from .lisp to .scm?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > scheme is not lisp, so I don't think so...
          >
          > Not exactly LISP, but a subset.
          >
          > > But why don't you just try
          > > it and see for yourself???
          >
          > I agree here :)
          >
          > -s

          Okay, so I put the lisp converted files into the same directory as
          the compiler. Now, command-wise running this stuff,
          what,

          (load "filename.scm")?
        • Will Deakin
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
            >Serguei Mokhov ha scritto:
            > Not exactly LISP, but a subset.
            Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you mean
            by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on the
            page :) that you are talking about common lisp --
            which I belive the examples to be implemented in --
            then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There are
            elements in the scheme standare that are not -- or can
            not -- be implemented in common lisp.

            If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme can
            trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy and
            others, then yes, scheme is a lisp. However, rather
            like the dolphin and the blue whale, they are somewhat
            different in form and function. Hope this helps.

            Cetaceanly yours,

            :)w

            Mio Yahoo!: personalizza Yahoo! come piace a te
            http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/?http://it.my.yahoo.com/
          • Serguei Mokhov
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
              > Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you mean
              > by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on the
              > page :) that you are talking about common lisp --

              I wasn't talking about any particular flavour of lisp.

              > which I belive the examples to be implemented in --
              > then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There are

              Okay, not a *proper* subset :)

              > If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme can
              > trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy and

              Yes.

              -s
            • Owain Roberts
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
                My understanding is that this goup if for discussions
                directly pertaining to 'Artificial Intelligence: A
                modern Approach' by Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig.

                Might this dicussion be better suited to
                comp.land.lisp?

                > > Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you
                > mean
                > > by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on
                > the
                > > page :) that you are talking about common lisp --
                >
                > I wasn't talking about any particular flavour of
                > lisp.
                >
                > > which I belive the examples to be implemented in
                > --
                > > then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There
                > are
                >
                > Okay, not a *proper* subset :)
                >
                > > If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme
                > can
                > > trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy
                > and
                >
                > Yes.
                >
                > -s

                =====
                Quamvis tam longo possis satur esse libello,
                lector, adhuc a me disitcha pauca petis.
                sed Lupus usuram puerique diaria poscunt.
                Lector, solve. Taces dissimulasque? Vale.

                --Marcus Valerius Martialis, liber XI, CVIII

                http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • Will Deakin
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 21, 2002
                  --- Owain Roberts <owain_roberts@...> ha
                  scritto:
                  > My understanding is that this goup if for
                  > discussions directly pertaining to 'Artificial
                  > Intelligence: A modern Approach' by Stuart Russell
                  and
                  > Peter Norvig.
                  Yes. The answer I gave was in response to a thread as
                  to whether the aima code would run under scheme. I was
                  trying to explain why this was not so and that
                  there were a number of practical steps that could be
                  carried out to run the examples.

                  For completeness, I should have added that IIRC the
                  examples are also implemented in a number of other
                  languages. This would suggest a third approach of not
                  using lisp but java, say. However, I don't know enough
                  about this to be of any futher assistance.

                  Why is this not "on topic?" Unless, of course, the
                  first question was not.

                  > Might this dicussion be better suited to
                  > comp.land.lisp?
                  Further dicussion (sic) would. Or any one of a number
                  of other places.

                  Best Regards,

                  Will