A good LISP IDE helps much in delving into the code at aima.cs.berkeley.edu

  • Antti
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2011
      I'm in the process of delving into and running the LISP program code
      accessible in the site

      http://aima.cs.berkeley.edu

      for the 3rd edition of the venerable textbook.

      I would recommend this procedure to everybody who is either studying
      the book or lecturing based on it. It gives more insight into the
      algorithms presented in the book.

      Ceterum censeo, I like the book very much. I'm thinking if I could
      honestly call this book the best computer science textbook that I ever have got in my hands. My PhD thesis is almost finished, but I decided to invest the time to delving into the book to keep my knowledge on a par with the modern AI practize. As to keeping up with the modern AI research, I recommend getting and reading the AAAI and IJCAI conference proceedings, as well as reading journals such as the JACM.

      (The manuscript of the thesis, which has some dozen known errata, is
      http://www.tkk.fi/~ajy/diss.pdf .)

      I would like to make a suggestion for the next edition of the book --
      I mean, if one has been planned. The reader could be suggested to
      download from the 'Net the combination of 1) the GNU Emacs; and 2) the
      SLIME; and 3) the GNU CLISP; for the work of running and delving into
      the LISP code available at the aima.cs.berkley.edu site.

      I mean, having a top-of-the-notch freeware LISP IDE (Integrated
      Development Environment) at hand quite significantly helps this task
      of getting to know and running the LISP code, compared to the
      circumstances that the user of the LISP code only had in his/her hands
      a bare LISP and an editor. I could not any more think of carrying out
      this task in that basic way.

      The combination of the GNU Emacs, the SLIME and the CLISP I have
      chosen beause:

      1) The GNU Emacs is arguably the world's best character based text
      editor. See

      http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs
      http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ediff

      2) The SLIME is the Superior LISP Interaction Mode for EMACS. To my
      opinion it is the best available freeware LISP IDE (Integrated
      Development Environment). See

      http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLIME

      3) I have chosen to suggest the CLISP out of some ten freeware Common
      LISP implementations because of three aspects:

      3.1 The CLISP is a relatively old implementation so many bugs have
      been ironed out.

      3.2 The CLISP is a part of the GNU system so there exists non-null
      support for the software.

      3.3. To my opinion it is a good Common LISP implementation.

      See:

      http://clisp.cons.org/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_CLISP

      kind regards and V/R, Antti J Ylikoski
      Helsinki, Finland, the EU
    • Antti Ylikoski
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2011
        One more point.  Right now I have found the Java code at the aima site, and am delving into it.

        I downloaded the Eclipse Java IDE from the Eclipse site, http://www.eclipse.org .  So far I have not been able to make the Eclipse run in my PC, but I think that it would as well be worthwhile for the student or the lecturer to download the Eclipse Integrated Development Environment in order to have a better tool for delving into the AIMA book aima site Java files.