aima-python doctest problem "AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute"

  • damo_78@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2011
      I'm trying to use the aima-python code to use in the online ai-class course from Standford. I'm new to python but have followed the instructions on the wiki fully. I have the latest svn version and the associated data downloaded. The following is the code I'm trying to run, and following that is the error. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it because I'm already falling behind on the course trying to resolve this.

      """Run all doctests from modules on the command line. Use -v for verbose.

      Example usages:

      python doctests.py *.py
      python doctests.py -v *.py

      You can add more module-level tests with
      __doc__ += "..."
      You can add stochastic tests with
      __doc__ += random_tests("...")
      """

      if __name__ == "__main__":
      import sys, glob, doctest
      args = sys.argv[1:]
      modules = [__import__(name.replace('-v *.py',''))
      for arg in args if arg != "-v" for name in glob.glob(arg)]
      for module in modules:
      doctest.testmod(module, report=1)
      print '%d failed out of %d' % doctest.master.summarize()

      The responding error....

      Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "C:\Python27\lib\bdb.py", line 383, in run
      exec cmd in globals, locals
      File "C:\Python27\aima\aima-python\doctests.py", line 12, in <module>
      """
      AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'summarize'
    • darius_bacon
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 24, 2011
        I was able to reproduce this error by running "python doctests.py" with no arguments. Apparently doctest.master starts out as None and gets initialized when doctest.testmod() is called, so this is a bug in doctests.py. Can you run "python doctests.py *.py" instead with no errors? This bug will have to be fixed, of course, but it shouldn't affect anything else.

        Darius