Compiler for Source in Text

  • wein3150
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
      Would using MIT Scheme 7.5 for W98 compile the source code from the
      text by changing the file extensions from .lisp to .scm?

      Thanks.
    • joachim@arti.vub.ac.be
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
        wein3150 writes:
        > Would using MIT Scheme 7.5 for W98 compile the source code from the
        > text by changing the file extensions from .lisp to .scm?
        >
        > Thanks.

        scheme is not lisp, so I don't think so... But why don't you just try
        it and see for yourself???

        Joachim.
      • Serguei Mokhov
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
          > > Would using MIT Scheme 7.5 for W98 compile the source code from the
          > > text by changing the file extensions from .lisp to .scm?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          >
          > scheme is not lisp, so I don't think so...

          Not exactly LISP, but a subset.

          > But why don't you just try
          > it and see for yourself???

          I agree here :)

          -s
        • wein3150
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
            > > > Would using MIT Scheme 7.5 for W98 compile the source code
            from the
            > > > text by changing the file extensions from .lisp to .scm?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > scheme is not lisp, so I don't think so...
            >
            > Not exactly LISP, but a subset.
            >
            > > But why don't you just try
            > > it and see for yourself???
            >
            > I agree here :)
            >
            > -s

            Okay, so I put the lisp converted files into the same directory as
            the compiler. Now, command-wise running this stuff,
            what,

            (load "filename.scm")?
          • Will Deakin
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
              >Serguei Mokhov ha scritto:
              > Not exactly LISP, but a subset.
              Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you mean
              by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on the
              page :) that you are talking about common lisp --
              which I belive the examples to be implemented in --
              then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There are
              elements in the scheme standare that are not -- or can
              not -- be implemented in common lisp.

              If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme can
              trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy and
              others, then yes, scheme is a lisp. However, rather
              like the dolphin and the blue whale, they are somewhat
              different in form and function. Hope this helps.

              Cetaceanly yours,

              :)w

              Mio Yahoo!: personalizza Yahoo! come piace a te
              http://it.yahoo.com/mail_it/foot/?http://it.my.yahoo.com/
            • Serguei Mokhov
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
                > Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you mean
                > by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on the
                > page :) that you are talking about common lisp --

                I wasn't talking about any particular flavour of lisp.

                > which I belive the examples to be implemented in --
                > then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There are

                Okay, not a *proper* subset :)

                > If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme can
                > trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy and

                Yes.

                -s
              • Owain Roberts
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
                  My understanding is that this goup if for discussions
                  directly pertaining to 'Artificial Intelligence: A
                  modern Approach' by Stuart Russell and Peter Norvig.

                  Might this dicussion be better suited to
                  comp.land.lisp?

                  > > Without meaning to be painfully pedantic, if you
                  > mean
                  > > by LISP (or lisp since this looks a bit quieter on
                  > the
                  > > page :) that you are talking about common lisp --
                  >
                  > I wasn't talking about any particular flavour of
                  > lisp.
                  >
                  > > which I belive the examples to be implemented in
                  > --
                  > > then, no, scheme is not "a subset" of lisp. There
                  > are
                  >
                  > Okay, not a *proper* subset :)
                  >
                  > > If however, you mean by *a* "LISP," that scheme
                  > can
                  > > trace ancedance from the early work by McCarthy
                  > and
                  >
                  > Yes.
                  >
                  > -s

                  =====
                  Quamvis tam longo possis satur esse libello,
                  lector, adhuc a me disitcha pauca petis.
                  sed Lupus usuram puerique diaria poscunt.
                  Lector, solve. Taces dissimulasque? Vale.

                  --Marcus Valerius Martialis, liber XI, CVIII

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • Will Deakin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 21, 2002
                    --- Owain Roberts <owain_roberts@...> ha
                    scritto:
                    > My understanding is that this goup if for
                    > discussions directly pertaining to 'Artificial
                    > Intelligence: A modern Approach' by Stuart Russell
                    and
                    > Peter Norvig.
                    Yes. The answer I gave was in response to a thread as
                    to whether the aima code would run under scheme. I was
                    trying to explain why this was not so and that
                    there were a number of practical steps that could be
                    carried out to run the examples.

                    For completeness, I should have added that IIRC the
                    examples are also implemented in a number of other
                    languages. This would suggest a third approach of not
                    using lisp but java, say. However, I don't know enough
                    about this to be of any futher assistance.

                    Why is this not "on topic?" Unless, of course, the
                    first question was not.

                    > Might this dicussion be better suited to
                    > comp.land.lisp?
                    Further dicussion (sic) would. Or any one of a number
                    of other places.

                    Best Regards,

                    Will