AIMA python

  • Mani Sabri
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
      hi
      I was looking at AIMA python code repository in google and asking
      myself is python still considered viable in this community. the java
      repository seems to have all the recent focus and development. why?
      personal preferences of project owners or some other reasons?

      Best Regards
      Mani
    • Ravi Mohan
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 6, 2008

        I wouldn't want to speak for the maintainers of the python
        repository, but as the maintainer of the java code repository I think
        it is important to understand how open source works.

        The amount of progress is directly dependent on how much free time and
        energy the maintainers have and often this has peaks and lulls. I
        wrote most of the java code for AIMA, but I have been insanely busy
        over the last year. Dr Ciaran O'Reilly has been adding a *lot* of
        code, however, mostly in the logic section, but also filling in some
        of the gaps in search.(see the svn branch dedicated to this effort.
        This will be merged into a new release soon).

        Next year, (2009) I'll have more free time and I plan to add graphics
        to the existing codebase. Particularly for small projects with
        contributors in the single digits, this ebb and flow is just how it works.

        If you believe that Python makes a good implementation language (I
        think it does - the size of the python implementation of an algorithm
        is a fraction of the size of the equivalent java code), please
        contribute some code. That way, everyone wins.

        My 2 cents,

        Ravi

        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Mani Sabri" <mani_sabri@...> wrote:

        > hi
        > I was looking at AIMA python code repository in google and asking
        > myself is python still considered viable in this community. the java
        > repository seems to have all the recent focus and development. why?
        > personal preferences of project owners or some other reasons?
        >

        > Best Regards
        > Mani

      • Nima Talebi
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 6, 2008
          Hi Mani

          I've started writing a framework, however it's not necessarily because there doesn't exist a framework which I can use (maybe one exists that is good, and maybe there isn't)...  My main reason is to get a deeper understanding; As Confucious said...

          I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

          Anyway, I'm using Objective-C and C, and the Cocoa framework.  I'd like to learn how to integrate python and ObjC (I think it is possible, but have failed to get it working)... I think that would be awesome for me - as I can write proof-of-concepts in python, then convert parts to C/ObjC as I see fit.

          So far I've implemented a Multi-layer (non-recurrent) NN with back-prop in python, SOM with various 1D, 2D and 3D lattices and an OpenGL view of the machine learning, and similarly a Perceptron.

          I'm not sure how many people here would be interested in writing Mac software though =)

          Nima

          On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 8:45 PM, Mani Sabri <mani_sabri@...> wrote:

          No doubt that python makes a good implementation language. and it will
          be fast enough if we use Pyrex or Cython along with c/c++ extensions.
          I wrote some code for multi-Agent realtime environments and later I
          found out that there is a project named SPADE (Smart Python
          multi-Agent Development Environment) which use XMPP/Jabber and
          implements FIPA standards but the problem with SPADE is that there is
          no community around them (no forum no mailing list just the emails of
          the owners).
          so I don't know where to start, I want to learn and to have a serious
          framework at the end of my study, may be its not the right direction
          (is it?) but if it is I will be glad to contribute to this project or
          make a fork of it and ...

          Best Regards
          Mani

          --