Re: Chapter 3 discussion

  • kiana
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2008
      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "kiana" <blacksilk79@...> wrote:

      > I understand the material in the chapter. However, the exercises
      are
      > completely confusing to me. Therefore, a discussion of the chapter
      may
      > clarify. For the 8-puzzle problem, I am not able to understand the
      > existence of two disjoint sets of all possible states in which a
      state
      > from one set can't transform to a state in the other set by any
      number
      > of moves. I would assume any state can be reached by in other
      state. In
      > other words, there are situations (initial state - goal
      configuration)
      > in which the puzzle isn't solvable? Does the two disjoint sets exit
      > because the problem becomes an NP-Complete problem for those states
      > trying to reach the states in the other disjoint set. And, the 9!/2
      > calculation for all possible states derives from this theorem of
      > exactly half of the possible states transform into a given goal, is
      > this true?

      Discussions of the topics in the book leads to a better understanding
      of the material. I need clarification of the topics in order to
      answer the exercies, not necessarily the answer to the questions. In
      order for me to understand the material further, I need to understand
      the questions. The existence of the disjoint sets were discussed in
      book, so I would like to elaborate on that topic. I don't understand
      that section of the book. Thank you.