Chapter 3 discussion

  • kiana
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2008
      I understand the material in the chapter. However, the exercises are
      completely confusing to me. Therefore, a discussion of the chapter may
      clarify. For the 8-puzzle problem, I am not able to understand the
      existence of two disjoint sets of all possible states in which a state
      from one set can't transform to a state in the other set by any number
      of moves. I would assume any state can be reached by in other state. In
      other words, there are situations (initial state - goal configuration)
      in which the puzzle isn't solvable? Does the two disjoint sets exit
      because the problem becomes an NP-Complete problem for those states
      trying to reach the states in the other disjoint set. And, the 9!/2
      calculation for all possible states derives from this theorem of
      exactly half of the possible states transform into a given goal, is
      this true?
    • kiana
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 24, 2008
        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "kiana" <blacksilk79@...> wrote:

        > I understand the material in the chapter. However, the exercises
        are
        > completely confusing to me. Therefore, a discussion of the chapter
        may
        > clarify. For the 8-puzzle problem, I am not able to understand the
        > existence of two disjoint sets of all possible states in which a
        state
        > from one set can't transform to a state in the other set by any
        number
        > of moves. I would assume any state can be reached by in other
        state. In
        > other words, there are situations (initial state - goal
        configuration)
        > in which the puzzle isn't solvable? Does the two disjoint sets exit
        > because the problem becomes an NP-Complete problem for those states
        > trying to reach the states in the other disjoint set. And, the 9!/2
        > calculation for all possible states derives from this theorem of
        > exactly half of the possible states transform into a given goal, is
        > this true?

        Discussions of the topics in the book leads to a better understanding
        of the material. I need clarification of the topics in order to
        answer the exercies, not necessarily the answer to the questions. In
        order for me to understand the material further, I need to understand
        the questions. The existence of the disjoint sets were discussed in
        book, so I would like to elaborate on that topic. I don't understand
        that section of the book. Thank you.
      • kiana
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 24, 2008
          --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "kiana" <blacksilk79@...> wrote:

          > I understand the material in the chapter. However, the exercises
          are
          > completely confusing to me. Therefore, a discussion of the chapter
          may
          > clarify. For the 8-puzzle problem, I am not able to understand the
          > existence of two disjoint sets of all possible states in which a
          state
          > from one set can't transform to a state in the other set by any
          number
          > of moves. I would assume any state can be reached by in other
          state. In
          > other words, there are situations (initial state - goal
          configuration)
          > in which the puzzle isn't solvable? Does the two disjoint sets exit
          > because the problem becomes an NP-Complete problem for those states
          > trying to reach the states in the other disjoint set. And, the 9!/2
          > calculation for all possible states derives from this theorem of
          > exactly half of the possible states transform into a given goal, is
          > this true?

          I'm confused, any clarification is greatly appreciated.