Fig. 3.4 Edition 2

  • ramanathan pl
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2008

      When I was going through the 8 puzzle example in fig. 3.4 of AIMA 2nd edition, I found that from the given start state (7 2 4 5 0 6 8 3 1), it is NOT possible to reach the given Goal state ( 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8) since both the states belong to two disjoint sets and it is not possible to transform from a state in one set to a state in another set , immaterial of how many moves we make.

      Any similar comments and discussions appreciated.

      Thanks
      Ram

    • kiana
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24, 2008
        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, ramanathan pl <ramkrshn36@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > When I was going through the 8 puzzle example in fig. 3.4 of AIMA
        2nd edition, I found that from the given start state (7 2 4 5 0 6 8 3
        1), it is NOT possible to reach the given Goal state ( 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
        7 8) since both the states belong to two disjoint sets and it is not
        possible to transform from a state in one set to a state in another
        set , immaterial of how many moves we make.

        > Any similar comments and discussions appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Ram

        It's evident two disjoint sets of all possible states for the 8-
        puzzle problem exist. However, I don't understand. I would assume it
        is possible to reach any state from a given state. What are the
        differences between the two disjoint sets? I am seriously confused.
        _________