Bidirectional search question

  • Brandon Corfman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 10, 2002
      In the chapter on uninformed search algorithms (I think it's chap. 3,
      but I don't have the book in front of me), there is a diagram showing
      the search pattern for a bidirectional search.

      Essentially, a breadth-first search from both the start and end nodes
      is illustrated, which looks like a circular tree-like pattern
      extending outward from both nodes.

      The question is asked in the book whether this pattern is the best one
      for a bidirectional search. I believe that breadth-first search would
      be necessary for both nodes because you essentially could "pass by"
      the tree generated for one of the nodes otherwise. It looks to me as
      though this would only be true for uninformed searches though.

      Am I right? Are breadth-first algorithms the best kind to use for
      uninformed bidirectional search?

      Thanks,
      Brandon