Re: [aima-talk] Re: Need help with the pseudocode in this book.

  • Bob Futrelle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2008
      I still think that you would find Norvig's book is written in a style that shows you
      algorithms stripped to their essence, yet they are fully executable code.

      You would soon learn how close Lisp is to the *ideas*.

      The way he defines and then builds on tree-search could hardly be any
      more elegant. His page 191 shows the arguments are: states, goal-p,
      successors, and combiner. The latter three are functions passed as
      arguments.  Successors is simply a list.

      It's nine lines of code plus two lines of comments,
      plus the variety of search strategies  he presents in the rest of Sec. 6.4,
      all built on tree-search by using appropriate variants of the three functions.

       - Bob Futrelle

      On Jan 1, 2008, at 9:27 AM, Michael B. Enders wrote:

      I will keep that in mind, but at this point my strategy for trying to
      figure out the pseudocode is to get some of the algorithms that are in
      pseudocode in the book in Java, because I some experience with Java and
      none with Lisp or Python. For some reason, I find the authors'
      pseudocode style to be almost impossible to understand - even when I
      find out how the algorithms work from other sources. I figure that if
      I compare the pseudocode versions of the algorithm with version in a
      language that I am more familiar with, I will finally be able to
      understand the pseudocode style. If I look at examples in Lisp then I
      am dealing with two languages I don't understand instead of one.

    • Ivan F. Villanueva B.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2008
        On Sun, Dec 30, 2007 05:09:19PM -0000, Michael B. Enders wrote:
        > I am finding the pseudocode in the text almost no help at all and would
        > appreciate it if someone could help me with it. For example, I think I
        > understand how the ALPHA-BETA-SEARCH algorithm that is described in
        > figure 6.7 works, but my understanding of the algorithm comes from
        > sources other than the pseudocode.

        If you can read German, the Wikipedia article about it is excellent
        http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Beta-Suche

        The English one is not so good but is ok:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-beta_pruning

        Same for many other algorithms.

        And remember that you are not allowed (copyright) to copy the text or anything
        else in traditional books for you own texts, but you have a copyleft license
        on the Wikipedia pages. E.g. for the English one:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Text_of_the_GNU_Free_Documentation_License

        --
        Iván F. Villanueva B.