Re: pattern databases

  • davidkwuman
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2007
      This is a pretty late response to an old question. I'm not sure if
      the original requester is still interested, but here is my attempt to
      explain.

      The book actually does NOT say that it is currently unknown how the
      pattern database approach can be applied to the Rubik's cube problem.
      What's unknown is the formulation of "Disjoint Pattern Databases"
      to solve the Rubik's cube problem.

      Korf's 1995 paper actually does NOT use a disjoint pattern database
      approach to solve the problem, which would require moves of one
      pattern database to be disjoint from moves of another pattern
      database. When disjoint pattern databases are used, disjoint moves
      from different pattern databases are "summed" as opposed to "max-ed",
      which is what Korf did.

      David