Performance Measure

  • Chuck Wolber
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
      This is with regards to AIMA 2nd Ed, page 36.

      The description says that if a performance penalty of one point is
      assessed, the agent will fare poorly. I'm at a bit of a loss to explain
      how the agent could ever perform well in that situation. If, as the first
      bullet indicates, the agent gets one point at each time step for a clean
      square, and loses a point for each movement, wouldn't that mean the agent
      could never possibly score higher than 1 or lower than 0 at the end of its
      run if a peformance penalty is assessed?

      (This same scenario is referenced in question 2.9, but I believe my
      question only asks for clarification, not an answer.)

      ..Chuck..

      P.S. The aima-java class TrivialVacuumEnvironment.java awards 10 points
      for a clean square, rather than the one point that seems warranted based
      on the rules outlined on page 36. Which is correct? I emailed Ravi Mohan
      about that, but never received a response.

      --
      "The idea that any one of us [presidential candidates] can bring about
      this change is a fantasy, it is not the truth! We need you to bring about
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        Chuck,

        > . Which is correct? I emailed Ravi Mohan
        > about that, but never received a response.

        I had replied to you as soon as I saw your email (The reply is
        duplicated below, Please note the date. Maybe your filters plonked it
        into your spam folder? )

        Regds,
        Ravi

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
          On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Ravi Mohan wrote:

          > > Which is correct? I emailed Ravi Mohan about that, but never received
          > > a response.
          >
          > I had replied to you as soon as I saw your email (The reply is
          > duplicated below, Please note the date. Maybe your filters plonked it
          > into your spam folder? )

          Weird. You're right, I did receive it, at least my mail server logs say
          so, but it wasn't trapped in my spam folder nor do I recall seeing it in
          my inbox.

          > > Since the Vaccum cleaner environment referred to in question 2.7
          > > refers to the assumptions made on page 36, I am confused at how a
          > > reward of ten points was associated with cleaning a location?
          >
          > See Section 3.2 (Example Problems) for where the path cost comes from. I
          > am not sure where I got the performance measure of +10, but it looks
          > reasonable to me.
          >
          > Feel free to alter it to whatever makes sense :-). Any value that is nx
          > for n > 1 should work.

          Thanks, that explains a lot.

          I'm still curious as to what the value of setting the performance penalty
          to -1 where the reward is +1. It seems as if they'll simply cancel each
          other out. Or perhaps I am over thinking it and missing the fact that
          question 2.9 speaks from the standpoint of an agent that cannot possibly
          maximize its performance measure.

          ..Chuck..

          --
          "The idea that any one of us [presidential candidates] can bring about
          this change is a fantasy, it is not the truth! We need you to bring about
          the change on all these issues, we need you involved, we need you taking
          responsibility!"
          --John Edwards
        • Abhijeet Sinha
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
            Hey,
                    I don't know if i would be able to explain it to you very well, but i would still like to make a try.

            In the vacuum cleaner agent we assume that the environment consist of two squares. The agent can sense the square in which it is present, and if any dirt is present in that square.
            The first PEAS description says that "Clean squares remain clean"; the agent gets one point for each clean square at each time. If 1000 time steps would be considered then our agent will score anything above 998(if initially  both squares were dirty) to 1000 (if initially none of the squares were dirty).

            Now in the next description, it is proposed that the vacuum-cleaner agent would be wasting energy if it is allowed to move to the other square if both the squares are clean. So very rightly the performance measure deducts one point for moving into a clean square.
            • If the agent starts with both the squares as dirty and then continues for 1000 time steps as before i.e not stopping if both the squares are clean then it would score -ve 998.
            • Similarly if the agent would have started with one of the squares as dirty and continues for 1000 time steps then it would end up in a score of -ve 999.
            So having one more assumption makes out earlier agent ir-rational.
            So the agent function has to be modified. For this agent, we could consider the following agent function:

            function VACUUM_CLEANER_AGENT ( location , state ) returns action
            ka = 0;  internal memory for square A
            kb = 0;  internal memory for square B

            if ( state == dirt ) then return SUCK
            else if ( ka + kb < 2 ) and location = A then {  ka=1 ; return RIGHT }
            else if ( ka + kb < 2 ) and location = B then {  kb=1 ; return LEFT }
            else if ( ka + kb == 2 ) return NOP

            Here we have ka & kb as state memory as said in 2.9

            Abhijeet.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 12, 2007
              On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Abhijeet Sinha wrote:

              > Now in the next description, it is proposed that the vacuum-cleaner
              > agent would be wasting energy if it is allowed to move to the other
              > square if both the squares are clean. So very rightly the performance
              > measure deducts one point for moving into a clean square.

              I interpreted the question a bit differently. I saw no indication that the
              performance award of one point for being on a clean square would go away.
              The phrase "if the performance measure includes a penalty of one point for
              each movement" seems to indicate that this change is "included" with the
              previously stated performance measure of "one point for each clean square
              at each time step".

              This would mean that the agent would be awarded a point for being on a
              clean square and then lose it when it wastes energy going to another clean
              square. The performance measure score would always be zero.

              > So having one more assumption makes out earlier agent ir-rational.

              I concur because the spirit of the question seems to indicate that the
              penalty performance measure does not work in tandem with the original
              performance measure. I hope the wording can be reconsidered in the third
              edition.

              Just for fun... based on my reasoning above, wouldn't you agree that since
              the score would always be zero no matter what, the agent would be
              rational? Clearly it would have maximized its score.

              ..Chuck..