Re: [aima-talk] Math for AI

  • Matthew Long
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 16, 2007
      Probably the most useful mathematics for computer science is discrete math.  Take a look at some of the topics referenced by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_mathematics

      You may want to google for "discrete structures" "computer science" and look at the introductory books used for undergraduate courses.

      For some of the more advanced topics (such as derivations of backpropogation learning for neural networks) you will need some calculus.

      Also, check out http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Electrical-Engineering-and-Computer-Science/6-042JFall-2005/CourseHome/index.htm

      Cheers,

      Matt

      On 7/16/07, Jim <tranzparency@...> wrote:

      I'm late to the game, some would say. But I've been interested in the
      concepts of AI since a kid. Only recently have I started doing
      something about it. I'm a PHP engineer and have been coding for 7
      years. Got the architecture and logic side down.

      My big issue now is math. As I learn more and breadth/depth searches,
      neural networks, etc I'm realizing I'm really deficient in the math
      department.

      So I'm trying to figure out a good path for the next year to study. I
      skipped college and got as far as Algebra, Geometry and a hint of Trig
      in High School.

      Any suggestions on what I should start with and a possible path I
      should follow to help me during my AI learning process? Thanks!