Semantic Web Vs Artificial Intelligence

  • Sorathia Vikram
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 16, 2007
      Considering the recent interest in "Semantic Web", as a part of the
      SOA course, the students are discussing the "Semantic Web Vs
      Artificial Intelligence".

      In "The Semantic Web Primer" book author's arguements are based on
      'Partial solution' and 'need of human intelligence'.

      We would like you know the viewpoint of AIMA authors, and thier
      thoughts on compare/contrast of these two domains.

      Thanks in advance.
    • Franz Calvo
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16, 2007
        Hello Sorathia,

        I'm not an AIMA author but found your message interesting and I'd
        like to contribute:

        Definition of "versus" http://209.161.33.50/dictionary/versus:
        1 : against
        2 : in contrast to or as the alternative of <free trade versus
        protection>

        So, it doesn't appropriate to use "versus" when analyzing the
        relationships between AI and SW.

        Google provides a great presentation on the relationships between AI
        and SW, as its first result (use the following strategy: "artificial
        intelligence" "semantic web"):

        Artificial Intelligence and the Semantic Web.
        Berners-Lee - AAAI Boston July 18, 2006
        http://www.w3.org/2006/Talks/0718-aaai-tbl/Overview.html

        Regards,

        Franz Calvo
        Assistant Professor, Medical Informatics
        Universidad Catolica del Peru
        http://www.pucp.edu.pe/escgrad/ingbio/?prof.htm

        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Sorathia Vikram" <vsorathia@...>
        wrote:

        > Considering the recent interest in "Semantic Web", as a part of the
        > SOA course, the students are discussing the "Semantic Web Vs
        > Artificial Intelligence".
        >
        > In "The Semantic Web Primer" book author's arguements are based on
        > 'Partial solution' and 'need of human intelligence'.
        >
        > We would like you know the viewpoint of AIMA authors, and thier
        > thoughts on compare/contrast of these two domains.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.

      • Anupam Jain
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 17, 2007
          Someone will correct me if incorrect but isnt semantic web completely disconnected (unrelated) with AI?

          Semantic Web is all about adding meaning to 'everything' on the web (by humans) so that 'more meaning' can be generated out of the web 'collectively'

          AI  all about teaching machines to apply/learn intelligence

          So AI is an effort to make machines 'intelligent' but SW is an effort to 'enable machines' to intrepret the web.

          Of course, AI can be applied to SW but so can other fields of (computer) science ?

          Anupam

          Considering the recent interest in "Semantic Web", as a part of the
          SOA course, the students are discussing the "Semantic Web Vs
          Artificial Intelligence" .

          In "The Semantic Web Primer" book author's arguements are based on
          'Partial solution' and 'need of human intelligence' .

          We would like you know the viewpoint of AIMA authors, and thier
          thoughts on compare/contrast of these two domains.

          Thanks in advance.

          Be a PS3 game guru.
        • Anupam Jain
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 17, 2007

            I would agree with the following : (Src : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_Web)

            Weak AI

            A Semantic Web is a type of weak AI. The concept of machine-understandable documents does not imply an artificial intelligence which allows machines to comprehend human-defined concepts. But it indicates a machine's ability to solve a well-defined problem by performing well-defined operations on existing well-defined data. In this respect, the Semantic Web is like a large-scale expert system.

            Considering the recent interest in "Semantic Web", as a part of the
            SOA course, the students are discussing the "Semantic Web Vs
            Artificial Intelligence" .

            In "The Semantic Web Primer" book author's arguements are based on
            'Partial solution' and 'need of human intelligence' .

            We would like you know the viewpoint of AIMA authors, and thier
            thoughts on compare/contrast of these two domains.

            Thanks in advance.

            Be a PS3 game guru.

            Don't pick lemons.
            See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.