"AI becomes a science (1987--present)" --- why 1987?

  • Wang, Pei
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006

      In page 25, it is said that "AI becomes a science (1987--present)".

      I understand that it doesn't make much sense to pinpoint the exact
      time when this process started, but on the other hand, the authors
      must choose 1987 for a reason, which I cannot find in the following
      description. Can anyone help?

      Thanks in advance!

      Pei
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006
        I don't have the book with me right now, but I believe we took the (as
        you say, quite arbitrary) turning point to be Pearl's book, which has
        1988 as a publication date, but actually appeared in 1987.

        -Peter

      • victor.lopez@utp.ac.pa
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2006

          Hi Peter.

          It is so nice to have an expert at hand.  I am just trying to get on the AI wagon.  I was reading some comments given by Dr. Roger Schank (who by chance I met down here in Panama City, Panama, Central América last year). So while we chat over a cup of coffe he said that the AI field is stalled due to the actual complexity for achiving the "goals" it has established for itself (since the begining), and eventhough he believes the goals can be achivied, it would take a lot deal of resources to get it (which probably nobody is willing to do) --- I hope I "tell the story the way it is" ...

          I would trully appreciate your opinion on the matter ... to get some guidence from another quite qualified expert on the field.

          Thanks ...

          ----- Message from peter@... ---------

              Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 10:32:30 -0800
              From: Peter Norvig <peter@...>
          Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [aima-talk] "AI becomes a science (1987--present)" --- why 1987?
                To: aima-talk@yahoogroups.com

          > I don't have the book with me right now, but I believe we took the (as
          />
          > you say, quite arbitrary) turning point to be Pearl's book, which has
          > 1988 as a publication date, but actually appeared in 1987.
          >
          > -Peter
          >
          > On 11/1/06, Wang, Pei <Dr.PeiWang@...> wrote:
          >> Hi,
          >>
          >> In page 25, it is said that "AI becomes a science
          (1987--present)".

          >> I understand that it doesn't make much sense to pinpoint the exact
          />
          >> time when this process started, but on the other hand, the authors
          />
          >> must choose 1987 for a reason, which I cannot find in the following
          />
          >> description. Can anyone help?
          >
          > --
          > Este mensaje ha sido analizado por MailScanner
          > en busca de virus y otros contenidos peligrosos,
          > y se considera que está limpio.

          ----- End message from peter@... -----

          y se considera que está limpio.