RE: [aima-talk] I am struct in definition of AI

  • Ricardo Alonso
    Message 1 of 4 , May 11, 2006
      Hi

      Easy.... Acting and Thinking as Human means that we want to imitate the Inteligence and behavioral process of Humans.... Rationally means that we want to develop a machine that tend to optimeize its performance ( maximize subject to restricitions).

      Bye

      Ricardo Alonso

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 4 , May 11, 2006
        These 4 definitions are basically the four broad categories of work done in field of AI.
        Researchers initially thought that to make an AI system they need computers/programs that think like human - Turing Test is still unsolvable.
        Then this thinking had its limitation because human neural net cannot be simulated by current technology.And it is hard to describe how human mind works.
        So people started to think about systems that act like humans though there back end working may be different.
        The approach is suitable for many systems but not all.
        For those other system the need was to make the system think and take decisios rationally this along with systems that act rationally i.e inferencing like human mind are areas where AI flourishes more today.
        Because to make a system that act like human is just like saying that to make an aeroplane, the mechanism should be just like bird.Which isnt the case infact the inspiration was taken by watchin the birds fly and transformed through some mechanism to making of aeroplane.
        Same goes for systems that act rationally, their decision is some what like human intelligence but the working/inferencing may not be the same.

        This is what i have understood while studying AI and Knowledge Engeenering. May be missing a point or two.
        Addition / contradiction to it will definetly broaden our thinking

        Paras Babu Tiwari <punarwas@...> wrote:
        Fren I can't understand the four definition of AI
        1)Acting Humanly
        2)Thinking Humanly
        3)Acting Rationally
        4)Thinking Rationally
        Can any body explain more about it?

        [3 ! |_ /\ |_

      • Ivan F. Villanueva B.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 11, 2006
          On Tue, May 09, 2006 11:06:39AM -0000, Paras Babu Tiwari wrote:
          > Fren I can't understand the four definition of AI
          > 1)Acting Humanly
          > 2)Thinking Humanly
          > 3)Acting Rationally
          > 4)Thinking Rationally
          > Can any body explain more about it?

          Where do these definitions come from ?

          I found in the chapter (14 or so) about making decisions good examples for the
          four.

          --
          Ivan F. Villanueva B.
          artificialidea.com