Re: [aima-talk] What are the best online resources available for AIMA?

  • Paolo Amoroso
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
      Farid B <farid_behnia@...> writes:

      > Yet, I don't have much idea about LISP, I've heard a
      > lot of hackers (in the sense of e.g. Eric Raymond)
      > recommend it as a must-learn programming language. I'm
      > not a professional programmer, so can I learn it fast?

      If by "LISP" you mean Common Lisp, i.e. the language the AIMA Lisp
      code is written in, you may have a look at this book:

      Practical Common Lisp
      http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book

      > I've got the impression that Scheme is an
      > easy-to-learn language. Now, can you guide me what
      > path to take?

      If you are interested in Scheme, see:

      Teach Yourself Scheme in Fixnum Days
      http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/languages/scheme/tutorial-dsitaram/t-y-scheme.html

      How to Design Programs
      http://www.htdp.org

      Paolo
      --
      Lisp Propulsion Laboratory log - http://www.paoloamoroso.it/log
    • Ivan F. Villanueva B.
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
        On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 05:20:29PM -0400, Robert Futrelle wrote:
        > If you have a chance to look at Norvig's book, Paradigms of Artificial
        > Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp, it can teach you a
        > lot. It will show you how compactly Lisp can represent and manipulate
        > knowledge-related structures and algorithms.

        Thanks. I will.

        > C is a poor language for AI because its syntax is so distant from the concepts
        > you are working with.

        If you mean GOFAI, I consider the Python sources of AIMA much easier to
        understand than the lisp sources. For embodied AI, like Robot programming, C is
        the one. The best robot simulations I know, Player/Stage Project and Webots, are
        in C/C++

        > When trying to do symbolic computations in C, most people end
        > up unwittingly re-implementing many of the basics of Lisp

        "Symbolic Computations" is exactly the problem. "Symbolic Computations" are the
        reason why AI has not yet managed to create robots as intelligent as, say, a
        fish. A good book about it is: "Understanding Intelligence" by Pfeifer and
        Scheier.

        > BTW: What free AI book is being referred to?

        http://www.markwatson.com/opencontent/
        and some books in wikibooks.

        I think symbolic algorithms are an interesting field in AI, but not the only one,
        not even the most important one, and I think that fact is the first thing any AI
        student have to heard.

        Coming back to the OP's question, I would say the best languages to learn at
        the moment for AI are python because it is easy; and C/C++ for performance.

        --
        Ivan F. Villanueva B.
        artificialidea.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
          Re: [aima-talk] lisp and free book
          I have to agree that symbolic computation has definite limits.  You could even go so far as to consider it a human conceit to try to reduce rich and complex phenomena to a set of discrete symbols that we create.  Corpus-based NLP, HMMs, situated robotics systems, neural nets, etc., demonstrate the power that's accessible beyond human-designated symbols.  The argument that we have symbols in our heads is a hard one to support, and it's only getting harder.

           -- Bob Futrelle

          > Robert P. Futrelle      | Biological Knowledge Laboratory
             Associate Professor  | College of Computer  and Information
                      >              |     Science MS WVH202
          Office: (617)-373-4239  | Northeastern University
          Fax:    (617)-373-5121  | 360 Huntington Ave.
          futrelle@...    | Boston, MA 02115
                   http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/futrelle
            http://www.bionlp.org   http://www.diagrams.org

                    http://biologicalknowledge.com
                 mailto:biologicalknowledge@...

          On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 05:20:29PM -0400, Robert Futrelle wrote:
          > If you have a chance to look at Norvig's book,  Paradigms of Artificial
          > Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp, it can teach you a
          > lot.  It will show you how compactly Lisp can represent and manipulate
          > knowledge-related structures and algorithms.

          Thanks. I will.

          > C is a poor language for AI because its syntax is so distant from the concepts
          > you are working with.

          If you mean GOFAI, I consider the Python sources of AIMA much easier to
          understand than the lisp sources. For embodied AI, like Robot programming, C is
          the one. The best robot simulations I know, Player/Stage Project and Webots, are
          in C/C++

          > When trying to do symbolic computations in C, most people end
          > up unwittingly re-implementing many of the basics of Lisp

          "Symbolic Computations" is exactly the problem. "Symbolic Computations" are the
          reason why AI has not yet managed to create robots as intelligent as, say, a
          fish. A good book about it is: "Understanding Intelligence" by Pfeifer and
          Scheier.

          > BTW: What free AI book is being referred to?

          http://www.markwatson.com/opencontent/
          and some books in wikibooks.

          I think symbolic algorithms are an interesting field in AI, but not the only one,
          not even the most important one, and I think that fact is the first thing any AI
          student have to heard.

          Coming back to the OP's question, I would say the best languages to learn at
          the moment for AI are python because it is easy; and C/C++ for performance.

          --
          Ivan F. Villanueva B.
          artificialidea.com
          <<<                   European Community Patent will bring            >>>
          <<<                     Software patents by the backdoor              >>>
          <<<
          http://wiki.ffii.org/ComPatEn                 >>>