Re: help

  • chinatigershanghai
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2006
      --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "\[3!|_/\\|_" <bilal_hayat_butt@...>
      wrote:

      > A* gives optimal result unless the heuristic function does not
      overestimates.
      > see AI by kevin knight for a discription of this....
      >
      > chinatigershanghai <chinatigershanghai@...> wrote:
      > For a admissable but not monotone heuristic function, A* and A* with
      > properly designed cycling checker,both provide opTimal solution,Is it
      > right or wrong ? we have debat at class.no conclution.Pl some one help
      > us out.

      > Artificial intelligence software Artificial intelligence
      in business Artificial intelligence Artificial intelligence
      introduction

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > [3 ! |_ /\ |_
      >

      > ---------------------------------
      > Yahoo! Mail

      Consider:
      [s]
      4/ \1
      [b] --- [a]
      5| 2
      [c]
      1|
      [g]

      h(a) = 2
      h(b) = 1
      h(c) = 1
      h(g) = 0

      I believe that the computer will output
      { S -> B, B->C , C -> G }
      but the optimal solution will be
      {S -> A, A->B, B -> C, C-> G }

      The program produces different output because of cycle checking with a
      bad heuristic. But as you can see, it is not optimal. So saying that
      cycling checking always produces an optimal solutions is incorrect. Am
      I right or am I wrong?
    • Ivan F. Villanueva B.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
        On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 12:54:19AM -0000, chinatigershanghai wrote:
        > Consider:
        > [s]
        > 4/ \1
        > [b] --- [a]
        > 5| 2
        > [c]
        > 1|
        > [g]
        >
        > h(a) = 2
        > h(b) = 1
        > h(c) = 1
        > h(g) = 0
        >
        > I believe that the computer will output
        > { S -> B, B->C , C -> G }
        > but the optimal solution will be
        > {S -> A, A->B, B -> C, C-> G }
        >
        > The program produces different output because of cycle checking with a
        > bad heuristic. But as you can see, it is not optimal. So saying that
        > cycling checking always produces an optimal solutions is incorrect. Am
        > I right or am I wrong?

        Depends on the cycle check you use. But without it the A* algorithm will output the
        optimal solution.

        --
        Ivan F. Villanueva B.
        artificialidea.com