Re: [aima-talk] help

  • [3!|_/\|_
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10 9:16 PM
      A* gives optimal result unless the heuristic function does not overestimates.
      see AI by kevin knight for a discription of this....

      chinatigershanghai <chinatigershanghai@...> wrote:
      For a admissable but not monotone heuristic function, A* and A* with
      properly designed cycling checker,both provide opTimal solution,Is it
      right or wrong ? we have debat at class.no conclution.Pl some one help
      us out.

      [3 ! |_ /\ |_

      Yahoo! Mail

    • chinatigershanghai
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18 4:54 PM
        --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "\[3!|_/\\|_" <bilal_hayat_butt@...>
        wrote:

        > A* gives optimal result unless the heuristic function does not
        overestimates.
        > see AI by kevin knight for a discription of this....
        >
        > chinatigershanghai <chinatigershanghai@...> wrote:
        > For a admissable but not monotone heuristic function, A* and A* with
        > properly designed cycling checker,both provide opTimal solution,Is it
        > right or wrong ? we have debat at class.no conclution.Pl some one help
        > us out.

        > Artificial intelligence software Artificial intelligence
        in business Artificial intelligence Artificial intelligence
        introduction

        Service.

        > ---------------------------------
        >

        > [3 ! |_ /\ |_
        >

        > ---------------------------------
        > Yahoo! Mail

        Consider:
        [s]
        4/ \1
        [b] --- [a]
        5| 2
        [c]
        1|
        [g]

        h(a) = 2
        h(b) = 1
        h(c) = 1
        h(g) = 0

        I believe that the computer will output
        { S -> B, B->C , C -> G }
        but the optimal solution will be
        {S -> A, A->B, B -> C, C-> G }

        The program produces different output because of cycle checking with a
        bad heuristic. But as you can see, it is not optimal. So saying that
        cycling checking always produces an optimal solutions is incorrect. Am
        I right or am I wrong?
      • Ivan F. Villanueva B.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 21 4:06 AM
          On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 12:54:19AM -0000, chinatigershanghai wrote:
          > Consider:
          > [s]
          > 4/ \1
          > [b] --- [a]
          > 5| 2
          > [c]
          > 1|
          > [g]
          >
          > h(a) = 2
          > h(b) = 1
          > h(c) = 1
          > h(g) = 0
          >
          > I believe that the computer will output
          > { S -> B, B->C , C -> G }
          > but the optimal solution will be
          > {S -> A, A->B, B -> C, C-> G }
          >
          > The program produces different output because of cycle checking with a
          > bad heuristic. But as you can see, it is not optimal. So saying that
          > cycling checking always produces an optimal solutions is incorrect. Am
          > I right or am I wrong?

          Depends on the cycle check you use. But without it the A* algorithm will output the
          optimal solution.

          --
          Ivan F. Villanueva B.
          artificialidea.com