help

  • chinatigershanghai
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2006
      For a admissable but not monotone heuristic function, A* and A* with
      properly designed cycling checker,both provide opTimal solution,Is it
      right or wrong ? we have debat at class.no conclution.Pl some one help
      us out.
    • [3!|_/\|_
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2006
        A* gives optimal result unless the heuristic function does not overestimates.
        see AI by kevin knight for a discription of this....

        chinatigershanghai <chinatigershanghai@...> wrote:
        For a admissable but not monotone heuristic function, A* and A* with
        properly designed cycling checker,both provide opTimal solution,Is it
        right or wrong ? we have debat at class.no conclution.Pl some one help
        us out.

        [3 ! |_ /\ |_

        Yahoo! Mail

      • chinatigershanghai
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 18, 2006
          --- In aima-talk@yahoogroups.com, "\[3!|_/\\|_" <bilal_hayat_butt@...>
          wrote:

          > A* gives optimal result unless the heuristic function does not
          overestimates.
          > see AI by kevin knight for a discription of this....
          >
          > chinatigershanghai <chinatigershanghai@...> wrote:
          > For a admissable but not monotone heuristic function, A* and A* with
          > properly designed cycling checker,both provide opTimal solution,Is it
          > right or wrong ? we have debat at class.no conclution.Pl some one help
          > us out.

          > Artificial intelligence software Artificial intelligence
          in business Artificial intelligence Artificial intelligence
          introduction

          Service.

          > ---------------------------------
          >

          > [3 ! |_ /\ |_
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Yahoo! Mail

          Consider:
          [s]
          4/ \1
          [b] --- [a]
          5| 2
          [c]
          1|
          [g]

          h(a) = 2
          h(b) = 1
          h(c) = 1
          h(g) = 0

          I believe that the computer will output
          { S -> B, B->C , C -> G }
          but the optimal solution will be
          {S -> A, A->B, B -> C, C-> G }

          The program produces different output because of cycle checking with a
          bad heuristic. But as you can see, it is not optimal. So saying that
          cycling checking always produces an optimal solutions is incorrect. Am
          I right or am I wrong?
        • Ivan F. Villanueva B.
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 21, 2006
            On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 12:54:19AM -0000, chinatigershanghai wrote:
            > Consider:
            > [s]
            > 4/ \1
            > [b] --- [a]
            > 5| 2
            > [c]
            > 1|
            > [g]
            >
            > h(a) = 2
            > h(b) = 1
            > h(c) = 1
            > h(g) = 0
            >
            > I believe that the computer will output
            > { S -> B, B->C , C -> G }
            > but the optimal solution will be
            > {S -> A, A->B, B -> C, C-> G }
            >
            > The program produces different output because of cycle checking with a
            > bad heuristic. But as you can see, it is not optimal. So saying that
            > cycling checking always produces an optimal solutions is incorrect. Am
            > I right or am I wrong?

            Depends on the cycle check you use. But without it the A* algorithm will output the
            optimal solution.

            --
            Ivan F. Villanueva B.
            artificialidea.com