Re: [aima-talk] the independence of the two factors in the value of information

  • The Geek
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 29, 2006
      It's not really about whether or not the information
      would change your decision, it's that the answer is
      **unlikely** to change your decision. It's tough to
      illustrate when you have a pretty flat probability
      distribution as implied by your DVD example.

      Instead try this:

      Harry's Bargain Electronics sells the DVD players for
      $99, but they're running a special promotion where
      every 1000th customer who buys one gets it for free.
      Crazy Ron's sells the same DVD player for $50, but
      everyone has to pay. In this example the
      "information" is whether or not you would be one of
      the lucky customers at Harry's to get it for free.

      Madame Trelawney the psychic is able to tell you with
      100% certainty whether or not you will be one of the
      lucky ones to get a freebie if you buy from Harry's.
      How much would you pay her for that knowledge?

      While the information could cause a significant
      difference in the relative expected values of the two
      choices ($99-$50 vs. $0-$50), it's **unlikely** that
      you're going to get a freebie, so the information
      itself isn't terribly valuable. It's **very**
      valuable **if** you're going to be the winner. But,
      999 times out of 1000 you'll find out you're not going
      to be a winner. In that case you'd just go to Crazy
      Ron's, which is the same decision you'd make without
      the information.

      Rob G.

      Do You Yahoo!?