possible typo: p633 2nd edition: "irrational to play a strongly dominated"

  • Jim Davies
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
      This seems wrong to me, but I just wanted to make sure. Fourth
      paragraph on page 633 of the second edition it says

      "It is irrational to play a strongly dominated strategy, and
      irrational not to play a dominant strategy if one exists."

      should probably say something like

      "It is rational to play a strongly dominated strategy, and irrational
      not to play a dominant strategy if one exists."

      JimDavies
      http://www.jimdavies.org/
    • The Geek
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2006
        You just misread it - dominated vs. dominant

        Strongly dominated strategy = a strategy that is
        strongly dominated by another, a.k.a one that sucks.
        Therefore it is irrational to play a strongly
        dominated strategy.

        Rob Guiher

        --- Jim Davies <jim.davies@...> wrote:

        > This seems wrong to me, but I just wanted to make
        > sure. Fourth
        > paragraph on page 633 of the second edition it says
        >
        > "It is irrational to play a strongly dominated
        > strategy, and
        > irrational not to play a dominant strategy if one
        > exists."
        >
        > should probably say something like
        >
        > "It is rational to play a strongly dominated
        > strategy, and irrational
        > not to play a dominant strategy if one exists."
        >
        > JimDavies
        > http://www.jimdavies.org/

        Just $16.99/mo. or less.
        dsl.yahoo.com