marginalization chapter 13

  • Ivan Villanueva
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 27, 2005
      Hello,
      in 13.4 of the book, there is the formula:

      P(Y) = Sum over z of: P(Y,z)

      I have problems to understand this formula and probably I'm not the only one
      because the meaning of the P(a,b) notation is IMHO not well explained in the
      book.

      Here my question: does P(Y,z) means P(y1 & z) when P(Y) is P(y1) ?
      If yes, why not to write: P(Y & z) ?
      --
      Ivan F. Villanueva B.
      The dream of intelligent machines: www.artificialidea.com